Best filter and filter adapter????

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Best filter and filter adapter????

Postby Radrick » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:32 pm

I have all the components for my system except the wvo filter unit. What is the best one? I need the filter to be readily available and to have a consistent OD for my filter heater. What is the micron required to ensure that the IP is not getting damaged? thanks
1995 Chevy K1500 6.5 TD not on WVO yet but soon.
Radrick

Postby SunWizard » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:35 pm

I like Cim-Tek Filter kits they are only $19.50 including filter and you can get 2 or 10 micron cartridges for cheap $8. 10m is probably what yours is stock. And they are common threads that you can buy almost anywhere.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby mcarman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:55 am

mr sunwizard, the cimtek looks good but is there something that would be less messy to change filter? probably not, but would be nice. also, how would you heat it?
mcarman

Postby SunWizard » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:54 am

mcarman wrote:mr sunwizard, the cimtek looks good but is there something that would be less messy to change filter?

None that I have seen. I put a small plastic container under it when I change and it makes no mess.
also, how would you heat it?

Wrap it tightly with a rubber hose with coolant in it. Then zip tie the hoses together in groups so it keeps its shape when you remove the filter.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby dragonfly » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:28 am

Radrick - Some areas to consider before the VO filter is purchase: (1) attached FPHE /canister filter (2) inexpensive 10 micron VW replacements (3) NO MESS replacing it (4) choice of water bleed off valve at bottom of canister (5) NO MESS and easy to prime to get air out of it. Example:http://www.frybrid.com/images/filtthum.jpg A little pricy, BUT it wroks very well to heat VO with engine coolant as it flows through filter (6) a heated filter will desolve the fats and therefore longer filter life. The physical size is smaller than the standard filter heads/canister or filter housing; easy to mount.
dragonfly

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion