How do you buy from Grainger if you aren't a company?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

How do you buy from Grainger if you aren't a company?

Postby Muleears » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:35 am

I would love to buy stuff from them but I am just an individual. How is it done?
Cal Genereux
Southeast VA
98 E300D, two tanked, Greasecar
87 300D Turbo, Blend
Muleears

Postby powerstroke73L » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:09 pm

Easy-you make one up :D I needed a Lovejoy coupling for a pump and ordered it over the phone as a will-call. When they asked for my company name I simply said "H&H Machine," a play on my last name. I gave them my home address and cell phone number as contact information and when I picked up my items at the local branch I simply gave them my company name, paid, and walked out. Likewise, whenever I order from Gempler's (a large mail order farm supplyhouse) they think they are delivering to "Larry's Farm and Nursery." If you wanted to get creative you could call yourself "Cal's Biofuels" or something. The point is they're not going to ask you for corporate papers or a tax I.D. number or anything...
powerstroke73L

Postby David » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:17 pm

I do have a company but have invented a few more to suit the industry I am buying from. If you make something up like " Freds distribution" or "ABC Supply company" that is non specific and could relate to any industry, it makes things easier to buy from anyone. :D

A lot of the time companies won't deal with the public/ end users because they just sell stuff and don't have support staff to answer the myriad of Dumb question non trades people always ask. There are a few places I buy from that have worked out I'm just buying the stuff for my friends and I but as I order, pickup and disappear without annoying them, they are happy to take my money and give me whatever I want.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby hheynow » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:05 pm

Grainger required of me a copy of my dba as filed with my county clerk to open an account. I rarely use them but it's good to have access.
FOR SALE: 1997 Ford F-350 7.3L PSD - Plant Drive kit
1984 Mercedes Euro 300D NA - Custom two tank
Running on used plant oil and biodiesel since May 2006
hheynow

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion