start -4mi.-stop...start 4mi.-stop a day just won't work...

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

start -4mi.-stop...start 4mi.-stop a day just won't work...

Postby rekline » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:51 pm

As much as i've wanted to know & share that feeling of succesfully creating your first batch of wvo/blend & feeling her turn over & fire knowing you've just won a small battle in the war against opec & the greed mongering american oil producers, that you've gained some independence & victory... common sense & studying good info tells me that producing & trying to run a wvo/mix of any recipe just isn't engine healthy or practical unless you are driving far enough per trip to get the engine at operating temp. & stay there for a while. I drive 4mi. one way to work/4mi. back daily... the 8 gal. of coolant is just up to temp. when i pull into the parking lot.
I've done all the intake & exhaust modes that i know of to inch up a little on m.p.g. [18 city for the 7.3}. I am wondering if i can blend diesel/ kerosine in specific ratios just to save a few bucks. If any of you fellas know for sure i'd appreciate a ratio to start out with. Any links to a forum for guys in my situation would be appreciated, the only next step i know of is a reprogrammer with an economy choice, which are way beyond my budget.
Thanks for all the info you've shared...keep on mixing.
Rick kline ...n.e. OK.
2001 f250 7.3 PS w/40,300 mi. driven 5 miles 2 x day.
rekline

Postby John Galt » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:19 pm

You live in a part of the world with mostly nice weather.
Save your money, buy a bike.

That driving pattern is hard on any diesel engine with any diesel fuel. Adding VO will only make it worse.
John Galt

Postby Zulu » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:52 am

If I was you, would move further away from work, into the "country" and then you would be able to save the fuel money as well as having the serenity of the Country. (I have no idea where OK is)
Living in Africa, Driving on the goodness of the Sun and the rain, and loving every Km of it!!

72000 Km on the greasy stuff already... Oh Africa.. such a nice place to live!!!
Zulu

Re: start -4mi.-stop...start 4mi.-stop a day just won't work

Postby powerstroke73L » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:13 pm

rekline wrote:As much as i've wanted to know & share that feeling of succesfully creating your first batch of wvo/blend & feeling her turn over & fire knowing you've just won a small battle in the war against opec & the greed mongering american oil producers, that you've gained some independence & victory... common sense & studying good info tells me that producing & trying to run a wvo/mix of any recipe just isn't engine healthy or practical unless you are driving far enough per trip to get the engine at operating temp. & stay there for a while. I drive 4mi. one way to work/4mi. back daily... the 8 gal. of coolant is just up to temp. when i pull into the parking lot.
I've done all the intake & exhaust modes that i know of to inch up a little on m.p.g. [18 city for the 7.3}. I am wondering if i can blend diesel/ kerosine in specific ratios just to save a few bucks. If any of you fellas know for sure i'd appreciate a ratio to start out with. Any links to a forum for guys in my situation would be appreciated, the only next step i know of is a reprogrammer with an economy choice, which are way beyond my budget.
Thanks for all the info you've shared...keep on mixing.
Rick kline ...n.e. OK.

This has always perplexed me. I mean, I guess I get reducing your carbon emissions, sticking it to the oil man, etc...but if your commute is that short why not just suck it up and run on diesel? If you're only doing 8 miles day how much fuel are you burning a week? 5 gallons? Save the WVO for long trips on the weekends or after work.
powerstroke73L

Postby rkpatt » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:30 pm

Due to my change in driving habits ( similar to the OP 's situation ) ,I have started using fairll week blend instead of my existing installed 2 tank system in my Ford 7.3 IDI . At present this only way I can utilize the WVO that I get on a regular basis. Maybe thinks get problematic when using blend in a more sophisticated system like a PSD .
rkpatt

Postby powerstroke73L » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Zulu wrote:If I was you, would move further away from work, into the "country" and then you would be able to save the fuel money as well as having the serenity of the Country. (I have no idea where OK is)

That's what I did which resulted in a commute of 85 miles a day :shock: But I do enjoy where I live and driving on veg takes the guilt (and the price) away.
powerstroke73L

Postby drewkeen » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:38 pm

You may want to look into selling the WVO truck and producing biodiesel in one that is not converted.

Or you may want to buy a Geo Metro.
drewkeen

Return to Beginners section and FAQ