Starting to gather my Centrifuge Parts.

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Starting to gather my Centrifuge Parts.

Postby Grease Student » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Starting to build my centrifuge setup..Actually gathering parts..I have a Spinner II model 60. I need to choose a pump.

SunWizard thanks for posting the photos of your set up. I saw that you have to twist those heating elements hard to get them into the NPT threads. I started checking this out and learned that the heater element is NPS threads, National Pipe Straight. I got a NPS 1"thread coupler and sure enough it threads right on to the elements. I am going to have fittings made for mine with the proper threads and copper washer seal. Do you think this is a good idea?? If so I can have a dozen of so made for you guys. My machine shop guy was out last week. Monday morning I am going over to see what is the simplest way to do this.

I have a 20 foot storage container being delivered to my shop next week to hold cubies and filtering equipment to get it out of the shop space. After I get the centrifuge sorted out I am starting an oil club for those customers of mine who do not want to filter but they can get their own oil.

Oh yeah the reason for this post....

fryer to fuel has pumps for the 0C 20 1/3rd horse for $298 or one for the OC 50 for $323 with a 1/2 horse motor. THe extra $25 bucks is not the question...but is the $323 one overkill for the spinner II model 60 that I am starting with.

Thanks in advance for the answers. I hope I can be of help on the veggie install area for you guys. Dave
Last edited by Grease Student on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
95 Dodge Ram...2 Tank...Veggiegarage.com
Grease Student

Re: Starting to gather my Centrifuge Parts.

Postby SunWizard » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:44 pm

Grease Student wrote:I am going to have fittings made for mine with the proper threads and copper washer seal. Do you think this is a good idea??

If it costs less than $5 it would be worth it, and the best would be a reducing bushing that fits into 1.25" pipe thread.
fryer to fuel has pumps for the 0C 20 1/3rd horse for $298 or one for the OC 50 for $323 with a 1/2 horse motor. THe extra $25 bucks is not the question...but is the $323 one overkill for the spinner II model 60 that I am starting with.

You can tell if its overkill by reading the pump specs and your CF specs. You should have slightly more flow than the CF is rated, such as 1.5 gpm 90psi pump if the CF is rated at 1 gpm.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Grease Student » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:20 pm

Here is my 1st barrel. Welded in the cone bottom and paint.

[/img]
Grease Student

Postby Mac99 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:11 pm

Neatly done! :D
Mac99

Postby Grease Student » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:47 am

Here is the fitting with 1 inch NPS threads for a water heater element.

http://bayareabiodieselsupply.com/store ... oductId=43
Grease Student

Postby gary » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:37 pm

is it cheaper to purchase the cf from canada for 215 and add on the parts rather than the dc for 295??
gary

Postby VegMeister » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:35 pm

gary, those are not your only two options

http://centralvalleybiodiesel.com/

Check out this guy, he's super nice, answered all my questions on the phone. I've ordered his centrifuge and I can attest it's a quality product, an upgraded SpinnerII. I wouldn't recommend anyone else.
centralvalleybiodiesel CF
1993 GMC Sierra K2500 6.5L + homebuilt veg kit, OEM glowplug failure (update: rebuilt with a 6.2 block, working fine)
1988 Ford 6.9L OEM dual tank, 90+% veg oil blend.
1989 Ford 7.3L, 80+% veg oil blend.
VegMeister

UpDate

Postby Grease Student » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:57 pm

Here is my rig assembled. I am going to try different heating methods.
I made a drop in T heater to be at the outlet for the barrel 1500 watt...a band heater 1500 watt...a pipe heater with 2 1500 watt heaters. I will experement with all 3.

I chopped of the bottom of my spinnerII after talking with centralvalleybiodiesel.com .He said to throw away the base but cutting off the bottom of the unit retained the mounts that have rubber bushings in them.

More photos after dinner...Dave
Grease Student

Postby Grease Student » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:26 pm

Here is the pipe heater. The air fitting was on for pressure testing with shop air.

Sorry for the poor focus on the element orings. I can reshoot if needed.

Dave
Grease Student

Postby Grease Student » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:30 pm

Here is the chopping of the SpinnerII

Dave
Grease Student

Postby SunWizard » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:05 pm

Looks like good work, especially the cone bottom tank.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Grease Student » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:16 pm

The next cone bottom tank will be much easier. I now have the steel cone bottoms from bossbuck at the shop. THis one was galvinized. Fun to clean and weld. Had to use Silver Solder to join the pipe fitting to the cone. (I mean the guy I had weld it did). After ( I hate to admit) we welded the cone botttom on I remembered about the galvinizing and oil. Hey lets pour a few gallons of pool acid in the bottom and swish it abound to eat away the galvinizing. It works!!! It smokes!! It stinks!! It burns your eyes and nose. Glad I did it early in the morn when nobody was around.

I will start playing with the heaters with oil pumping to see what works here now. It is currently over 105 most days so the oil is warmed up a little already.

SunWizzard I could not have done this without your work ahead of me. I just copyed your work.

I do like my idea on the T style heated at the outlet of the drum. Time will tell if it does work well enough.

Thanks,Dave
Grease Student

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering