Acme juicer. . . . bogus

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Acme juicer. . . . bogus

Postby td2dv » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:54 am

I got a nearly new Acme juicer from eBay for just under $50 usd and epoxied the basket. The basket has a run out of over half a mm and the grater disk is maybe a quarter mm off center. I tried taping different coins on the short side with some improvement (dry) but couldn't find any real success changing weight or position (wet). I spent a couple hours spinning the thing up, full of water and changing the coin configurations with some improvement but no success overall. It never reached a point where I could take my hands off the machine without it dancing all over. If I had a variable rate strobe I might have done better. PLUS. . . . the West Epoxy would not maintain a bond at the top of the basket. I had visions of a low cost solution but now I'm on the hunt for a DieselCraft or Spinner II.
Benz 240-D
Minneapolis
WVO/RUG (10%) 5 mo/yr
td2dv

Postby SunWizard » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:12 pm

Did is spin smoothly before you epoxied the basket?

Did you drill holes in the rim as mentioned and pictured in the acme juicer thread? That was the key to making mine stable since then it holds less liquid. And making it as free floating as possible, like putting it on some soft foam.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:24 pm

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Can tell your frustrated. Emoticons would have been a better solution to expressing that instead of yelling

So far most who have had success with these have done 2 things.

1. Like Sun mentioned drilled holes in the top of the drum's rim so the fluid can escape sooner instead of waiting till there is enough liquid in it for it to begin to spill out the tops inner lip. Seems to stay in balance better that way.

2. Place it in a hanging basket of sorts instead of sitting it on a flat surface.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering