2003 6.0 Powerstroke with Performance mods.

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

2003 6.0 Powerstroke with Performance mods.

Postby Performance Plus WVO » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:34 pm

I am at the point in time that I am considering converting my 03 Powerstoke 6.0. Has anyone had the opportunity to play with one of these vehicles? If so what hurdles do you have to cross to be reliable and not wipe out injector tips and injection pumps?
Performance Plus WVO

Postby TsTDI » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:04 pm

Thats a real loaded question because its been my understanding and very popular opinion (ask any Ford Diesel shop) that the 6.0 can barely survive under stock settings, let alone a chip tune.

The funny thing is, it seems the 6.0 will always be in the shop, or never be in the shop.... I'm hoping its the second one for you.

Anyways....I think a good quality kit is a good start. You have one thing that sets off a red flag for me and thats your EGR... I am close to burning Veg on a VW TDI and that EGR is already blocked off.

It is my understanding that the EGR's cause problems on any engine that burns WVO. I would have it either blocked or eliminated right from the get go. Recirculating VO fumes in your intake tract is not going to be good for any engine. VO tends to "deposit" when it can and limiting that is a great place to start.

I would also address your Crankcase Vent and have some sort of catch can to drain every oil change. Again this is also another system that can cause problems, along the same lines as that above.

This is typical but increase you Oil Change intervals. 5k max, I know you got a lot more oil to change then my 4 cylinder TDI but I'll be changing it ever 3k to give you an idea.

This is my advice...
address you EGR and CCV
if you do decide to chip tune, run it on a very low setting and NO SMOKE, but I would keep it stock.
I think the injectors will handle it even though there half the size of their older counterparts (7.3)

As far as injection pumps go, there are none which is why a PSD is a good starting candidate for WVO. Pressures are derived from a High pressure Oil Pump and no WVO will ever reach it.... gosh I hope not :wink:
6.0 you need to be careful....Good luck
TsTDI

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion