Best product for cleaning wvo

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Best product for cleaning wvo

Postby 123eddie » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:00 am

I bought a 300 d with Frybrid conversion off of Craig's list that wasn't running. It is now running great off of diesel and the Frybrid will be reinstalled later. My question is how do I get the thick film of wvo out of the trunk? I tried simple green with out any luck. Has anyone found a good grease dissolver?
123eddie

Postby John Galt » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:08 pm

The generic oven cleaners work, also ammonia, but not as well.
John Galt

Postby Muleears » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:54 am

I had a pressure relief valve from my centrifuge setup that was covered with poly. I soaked it in "Purple Power" at about 80% strength and it dissolved all of it. I think I got the stuff at Advance Auto in a concentrated 1 gallon jug.
Cal Genereux
Southeast VA
98 E300D, two tanked, Greasecar
87 300D Turbo, Blend
Muleears

Best

Postby HoldOnTight » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:10 am

Oven cleaner is undoubtedly the best, but it might not be compatible with aluminum or some painted surfaces...try in an inconcpicuous spot first. I used it on my truck bed liner, it was fast! I think I let it soak for 10 min and then hosed it off. Works great.

If you want to use something more gentle, perhaps on aluminum, I would use glycerine since I have access to it. You can probably get bookoo amounts from any biodiesel convertor for free, I did. I've soaked badly polymerized stainless parts in the glycerine and found it to clean up like brand new - no scrubbing, I've also used a sponge to wet down (no water) my collection tank, which had an accumulation of drips and smears, and after 30 min. I remoistened the tank again with the glycerine sponge. 30 min later, I rinsed off the tank and it was like new. Glycerine works great on greasy hands if you change your oil, replace your starter or otherwise get black greasy hands. Start with straight glycerine, rub it in, rinse it off...quick, easy, cleans about as well as anything I've ever tried on grease, including the professional cleaners machine shops use.

I've heard the purple stuff is really good too, but I've never tried it, never needed to yet.
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Postby 123eddie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:48 am

I finally got around to cleaning the wvo residue and the oven cleaner that John reccomended worked the best. I used the simple green oven cleaner.
123eddie

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion