Pulling heat from motor

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Pulling heat from motor

Postby GatoDeBotas » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:19 am

When pulling heat from a motor I have seen pluming that pulls the heat from between the motor before the radiator and after the radiator before it returns to the motor again.

I have also seen that almost every image I have ever seen has -T- connectors pulling only a small portion of the heat from the system.

It would seem to me that the best way to heat the components to max temp would be to plum in (ie run without the T's) a straight system all the way through Before the radiator just as the coolant goes into the radiator. (example would be Motor -> Veg lines -> Veg tank -> Veg fuel lines -> Radiator)

I see this as the perfect answer to HoH not heating up enough.

Possible problems
Long lines, Over heating, warm passenger compartment, protecting the lines under the truck/car.

Possible advatages
quicker switchover times, simpler pluming.
1984 suburban 6.2 to be converted to a SunWizard Holy Grail three tank system.
GatoDeBotas

Postby coachgeo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:51 am

While it could be no one has thought of your idea.... odds in situations like this pretty against that.

Do a search using terms { Series, Parallel, Plumbing} in here and infopop. There is many diagrams and explanations to why plumbing is done in parallel loops.

That should get your questions answered on why few to no one does a straight series system like your proposing.

(slows flow, things dont heat up enough etc etc)
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby Johnh » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:32 pm

HI GatoDeBotas
There are a couple of problems with your theory

1 There is no water flow through the radiator hoses when we need it before the thermostat opens .. the heat must be taken off the bypass hose or the heater hoses which generally bypas the thermostat

2 Making everything - heat exchangers HIH's etc in a size sufficient to take all the flow that is needed through the radiator at maximum engine load is just not economical or I would say even possible.

This would increase heatup times not decrease them .. what we are trying to achieve on cold startup is to run the smallest practicle volume of coolant through our lines and return it to the engine for more heat. the radiator is not even in the circuit until the thermostat opens

Regards
John
Johnh

Postby David » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:52 pm

I didn't quite understand the original idea but I do agree with some of the sentiment as far as the way HE's are generally Plumbed. Most people tend to T the coolant line before the HE therefore denying it to receive the full coolant heat available.

I believe unless the T is placed after the HE, It is never going to reach it's maximum effectiveness.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby WD8CDH » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:03 am

Most people T in the line leaving the head that goes to the cabin heater core. That is the point of the hottest water and is not limited by the thermostat.
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'85 MB 300DT 2 Tank
Since '81 former WVO conversions:
'83 240D
'80 Audi 4000D
'83 Isuzu Pup
'86 Golf
'76 Honda Civic with Kubota engine
Prior to the cars, several generators
Kubota Tractor
WD8CDH

Postby rackley » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:19 am

David wrote:Most people tend to T the coolant line before the HE therefore denying it to receive the full coolant heat available.

I believe unless the T is placed after the HE, It is never going to reach it's maximum effectiveness.

Think about what you just wrote for a moment.
Ray Ackley
VO Control Systems
www.vocontrol.com
rackley

Postby Burbarian » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:59 am

From a technical standpoint, I would have to agree with David on this one. All other factors being equal, connecting the HE coolant input directly to the engine coolant output will provide maximum coolant flow to the HE and hence provide the best possible amount of heat from the coolant. Then all other coolant-using equipment will be connected to the HE coolant output. You can use multiple 'T's with ball valve regulators for parallel beyond that point. This of course predicates the use of a low flow restriction HE, with non-restrictive coolant I/O fittings. In this arrangement, ALL the hot coolant flows through the HE first, before being distributed to anything else.

Of course, considering actual fuel flow rate the difference between installing the 'T' pre or post the HE would likely not be dramatic. It is a diminishing returns scenario. However, if it is just a matter of moving a single fitting, then why not?
1987 GMC Suburban 6.2L V8 IDI
1985 Merc 300TD
1968 CAT D4D 3304 dozer
1971 Waldon 4100 loader
1981 IHI 30F excavator
1995 Changfa 195 w/ ST 10kw genset
Burbarian

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion