Dieselcraft centrifuge questions

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Dieselcraft centrifuge questions

Postby sbaker » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:33 pm

I'm really trying to talk myself into a centrifuge. One way or another, I think I need a filtering system that can work under pressure which means a centrifuge like the Dieselcraft or a filter housing with sock filters.

Obviously, SunWizard is a strong advocate of the Dieselcraft so I figure this is the best place to ask questions about it...

1. How loud is it? I've seen videos on youtube that make it look pretty loud. I'm not expecting a specific answer in dB, but I'm trying to figure out if my neighbors will hear it or if it will wake up my children when I use it in my garage or driveway.

2. How long between cleanings? Again, I know this is highly variable, but if I have pre-filtered to 100 microns, would I normally expect to be able to run a batch of 50 gallons through 4 or 5 passes before I clean it? The bowl doesn't look very big, but hopefully it's big enough.

3. For people that have used the centrifuge with a water heater, do you have any trouble with the draining? The manual says to make sure you have at least a 1" outlet for the OC-20 (1.25" for the OC-50) but a hot water heater inlet is only going to be 3/4". How do you keep the outlet from backing up?

Thanks for any input. A decent filter housing is just too close to the cost of a centrifuge but it has the advantage of being very simple.
sbaker

Postby Performance Plus WVO » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:39 pm

1. Sound as loud as a hair dryer.2. 30 minutes to one hour. 3. I use a cone tank not a water heater. The thing is you can screw around with filters and make a mess" or at least I did when I played the filter game". On the other hand if you want to use a lot of oil get the centrifuge. They work well and are a good value for what you get.
Performance Plus WVO

Re: Dieselcraft centrifuge questions

Postby Johnh » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:18 pm

sbaker wrote:3. For people that have used the centrifuge with a water heater, do you have any trouble with the draining? The manual says to make sure you have at least a 1" outlet for the OC-20 (1.25" for the OC-50) but a hot water heater inlet is only going to be 3/4". How do you keep the outlet from backing up?

For running smaller outlets you can use the certrifuge with the level control base. you need to supply them with a small volume of compessed air which pumps the oil out of the centrifuge. See the Websites for details they are slightly dearer.
But for our application I think it may be a mistake to use a centrifuge in a sealed container like a water heater. There is a big advantage in dewatering if you allow the water vapour in the output to escape.
Regards
John
Johnh

Postby sbaker » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:29 am

Thanks very much for the replies.

After reading through SunWizard's original CF post again, I was thinking that a closed container might not be a good idea. Thanks for validating my concerns.

Noise was my biggest holdup, so thanks for answering that Performance Plus. I also found an old post from SunWizard saying that they aren't too loud if they are mounted properly.

I'm planning to get an OC-50 ASAP.
sbaker

Postby Mac99 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:03 am

You will also reduce the noise caused by vibration if you install the CF with rubber isolation mounts, and use a flexible hose to connect it to the pipework.

The vehicle mount type with the level control base referred to earlier (Spinner II etc.) come with isolation mounts as standard.
Mac99

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering