2003 Dodge system advice, please

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

2003 Dodge system advice, please

Postby skidmark » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:30 am

Hello all, and thanks in advance. I am gathering materials to convert my Dodge and to construct a CF to clean my oil, and I am almost ready to get started. I have two questions that I would like to have answered by someone with experience with this truck model before I get started on my conversion, however.

First, I would like to tap my VO system into the truck's fuel between the fuel filter and IP, but the shop manual says that the lift pump (filter mounted, not in-tank) produces 80-180 psi. So, I am concerned that regular fuel line won't tollerate this pressure, that I may need some type of specialized line and connectors to tap this line, and that I will need to tap in and disconnect the stock lift pump when my VO system is activated, and that I may need a check valve or check valves in the system somewhere.

Next, I would like advice on setting up a return. Ideally, I would like to introduce no VO into my diesel tank, but the only way that I can think of to prevent VO from entering the diesel system after switch over / purge is to use a check valve in the VO return system.

Anyone have any personal experience with a conversion on a 2003-2005 Dodge? What did you do?

Thanks!
Vinny
skidmark

Postby roverhybrids » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:54 pm

hello Vinny,
check out my website for some Dodge commonrail conversions and systems. www.roverhybrids.com

The info you have on fuel pressure is wrong. The fuel pressure on the 03-04 is about 15psi. On the 05 and up it's about 10psi.

Tapping into the fuel supply between the stock filter and the IP is easy with some metric adapter fittings.
For VO you will need a new pump as the stock pump cannot handle VO. You can use check valves on the supply and a 3-port valve for the return or another 3-port for the supply.
roverhybrids

Successful conversion

Postby skidmark » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:50 am

Sorry for being late with my reply, Rover, but I appreciate your input on my '03 Ram conversion. I work overtime most weeks and it took me all summer to convert my truck, so I just didn't take the time to post a reply. I plan on submitting a write-up on my conversion, and I will give you credit for your kind assistance. Also, one thing I learned is that there is more to installing a system than is apparent up front. My advice to anyone considering a conversion on a 3rd generation Dodge would be to have a reputable shop do your conversion unless you have A LOT OF TIME for trial and error.

Thanks again!
skidmark

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion