Iodine Value

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Iodine Value

Postby djenkins6 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:37 pm

Someone asked the Iodine value of my oil the other day. I found lot's of references to iodine value, but can't find anything about doing a test for it. Is this something I can do myself or do I have to send sample to a lab?

David
djenkins6

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:00 pm

It depends on your chemistry ability and equipment.
Iodine value test, from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_value

"For a simple analysis, 0.2 grams of the fat is mixed with 20cm3 Wij's solution and 10cm3 1,1,1-trichloroethane. It is then left in the dark for 30mins. Next, 15cm3 of 10% potassium iodide solution and 10cm3 of deionised water is added. This is then titrated against 0.1M sodium thiosulfate (VI) solution. 1cm3 of 0.1M sodium thiosulphate solution = 0.01269g of iodine. The difference between a control titration and the titration with the fat present multiplied by this factor gives the mass of iodine absorbed by the oil."
Or buy the complete instructions from:
http://www.astm.org/Standards/D5768.htm

Or If you know the type of VO you have you can get an idea of the range of the IV from the charts on many sites, close enough for most needs.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby djenkins6 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:17 am

ok... that's all a bit complicated for me. Anyone know any labs in Southern Ontario who could do this - and probably a complete analysis while they are at it - preferably close to Hamilton

David
djenkins6

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering