AirDog pump/filter assembly

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

AirDog pump/filter assembly

Postby Renntag » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:08 am

First, this is my first post and I didnt see anything about intros. I have been using WVO blended fuel for 8 months and researching for 4 years. I am using settle filtration and a centrifuge + heat in addition to several other filters and waterbloc elements.

I live in arlington, Va so we get cold temps too, but it is far more mild here then where I grew up in northern NY.

Is anyone using or have info about using an AirDog or similar FASS pump/filter assembly that extracts air from the fuel stream in an SVO system?

I am very interested in the air removal benefits but have no info on using with SVO.

I am adding a 2 tank system to a Duramax equipped truck. I would also like to do the same thing on our 6.5 powered Suburban.

Comments? Links? Searching here and google net'd me nothing.

thanks in advance.
Ask me about online scheduling and email marketing.
PlanGenius, better business efficiency, sign up now.
Renntag

Postby VegMeister » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:31 pm

I'll chip in this: Roger Taylor who I think is one of the most knowlegable veg guys not on the internet swears on using a "raptor" which is made by the son in law of the designer of the FASS system?? Some kind of fallout happened there.

Anyways this raptor unit is supposedly better and was designed (the alloys and stuff) for use with SVO and bio as well. But the only information I have on it is what I got from Roger. I'd trust Roger on just about anything, and so it looks like I'll be going with a Raptor for my next conversion (my dad's cummins).

I'm looking for input here too guys: what about the AirDog, FASS, etc? I'm thinking putting something like that together with a FPHE would make a kick-ass system.
centralvalleybiodiesel CF
1993 GMC Sierra K2500 6.5L + homebuilt veg kit, OEM glowplug failure (update: rebuilt with a 6.2 block, working fine)
1988 Ford 6.9L OEM dual tank, 90+% veg oil blend.
1989 Ford 7.3L, 80+% veg oil blend.
VegMeister

Postby Renntag » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:28 pm

Hey thanks for the reply. I am also familiar with the raptor but have no idea of the difference one or the other.

I have read alot about gassing and vaporizing within the fuel stream and how it has a detrimental effect on the modern diesels with tight tolerances. Since everything I have heard about the Dmax is that filtration is paramount, I want to go one step further and also remove air from the fuel stream.

Some of the veg kit manufacturers state that they have pumps and filters specifically made to their design specs yet in photos the equipment looks the same as what the pump/filter manufacturer makes, minus the new sticker. I am trying to save some money outfitting our 4 diesels. If it all goes well, I will be putting together 4 more for family members.
Renntag

Postby roverhybrids » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:43 pm

I've been using the FASS system on my VO conversions since 05.

I got FASS(their company name is actually Diesel performance products) to put their bigger motor together with the 90gph pump for use with VO. This was because I was burning up the standard motor(that was intended for diesel). I've been working with them since.
The HPFP is the stand alone pump that some have claimed was designed specifically for VO which is sort of an over statement. The parts for the pump were originally for high performance diesel applications.
The newest pumps from DPP have viton seals.

The Raptor and Airdog are from the Fathers company.
roverhybrids

Postby VegMeister » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:37 pm

ahh so it was the father that left DPP. What is the advantage to your modified FASS? And how do you get it, call DPP and get a FASS with vitron specifically? What's the advantage to that over Gold Fuel System's pump, which claims to have been modified for veg oil?
centralvalleybiodiesel CF
1993 GMC Sierra K2500 6.5L + homebuilt veg kit, OEM glowplug failure (update: rebuilt with a 6.2 block, working fine)
1988 Ford 6.9L OEM dual tank, 90+% veg oil blend.
1989 Ford 7.3L, 80+% veg oil blend.
VegMeister

Postby roverhybrids » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:26 pm

All the the DPP pumps now have viton seals.
The pumps with the larger motor are the ones that are marketed for VO. If you buy a FASS or HPFP from ebay or some diesel performance shop they may or may not know the difference.
Generally all the VO venders selling the DPP products know that for VO you want the larger motor and that is the models they carry.
roverhybrids

Postby Renntag » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:32 am

Great info.

So would it matter Airdog, Raptor or FASS(DPP)? Just be sure to order with the large pump motor?
Renntag

Postby roverhybrids » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:56 am

I'm a FASS dealer so I may be biased.........

If you continuely have temps below 30F during the cold season then you would likely need to add some filter heaters to a FASS or Airdog type system.

Using an HPFP or a Raptor would allow you to have the filter in the engine compartment and give you more options for filters but no air separation.
2004.5 Dodge w/ 2 tank VO conversion
www.ecologicalvehiclesolutions.com
roverhybrids

Postby Renntag » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:36 pm

roverhybrids wrote:Using an HPFP or a Raptor would allow you to have the filter in the engine compartment and give you more options for filters but no air separation.

Why is this?
Renntag

Postby roverhybrids » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:34 pm

Renntag wrote:
roverhybrids wrote:Using an HPFP or a Raptor would allow you to have the filter in the engine compartment and give you more options for filters but no air separation.

Why is this?

The FASS(Fuel Air Separation System) has the pump and filters as one unit. The unit is also an air separator(hence the name). Airdog is basically the same.
The HPFP or Raptor fuel pumps do not have the air separation feature.
roverhybrids

Postby coachgeo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:31 pm

roverhybrids wrote:...The FASS(Fuel Air Separation System) has the pump and filters as one unit. The unit is also an air separator(hence the name). Airdog is basically the same.
The HPFP or Raptor fuel pumps do not have the air separation feature.
So they have a passageway that allows air to escape upward and then is sent back to the return line for venting out the tank or does it have a vent to atmospher built into it?

Just curious.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby roverhybrids » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:03 am

this diagram sort of shows how it works. There is actually a draw tube inside the filter where the filtered fuel comes out to the engine and the aerated fuel is blead out the top of the filter. The air bleed is actually the pressure regulator also.

http://www.fassride.com/how-fass-works.html
roverhybrids

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion