need help setting up a filter station...

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

need help setting up a filter station...

Postby glvaleri » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:46 pm

Hi... I'm new at this and I'm not a very handy person, I need to put together a filtration station at home and I'm thinking on getting either a Tuthill FR1604 or a Redline, (http://www.redlinepumps.com/lowcostpumpsmp2000dd.html)
I wan t to add a Racor 1000 to either of them, does anybody knows if it is possible?

I was thinking on the FR1604 so I can use it either at home or on the road, I will be using a bucket heater to heat the oil and then let it settle before filtering, I like the racor 1000FH filter, the media is easy to find and cheap, seams to be a good filter for debris and water.

Any ideas if I'm going the right direction? I don't want to spend to a lot of money not that I have it. and I don't want to (nor that I can or know how) build a super complicated filter system in my house.

thanks in advance
glvaleri

Re: need help setting up a filter station...

Postby SunWizard » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:13 am

glvaleri wrote: I like the racor 1000FH filter, the media is easy to find and cheap, seams to be a good filter for debris and water.

Hi and welcome to the forums. I use and like the FR1604 for collection and transfer. Water block filters have been shown by many to not remove suspended water from VO, see:
Is a water block filter enough to dewater?
Sometimes you can get lucky and find VO that doesn't have suspended water and then that pump/filter would work OK. I still hot pan test every batch from the lowest VO I am collecting to make sure.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering