??? Wiring an inverter to use 12v to power my cabin

Its like a chat room. This is where your post gets moved if you get too far off topic.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby coachgeo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:58 pm

Burbarian wrote:Then you're good to go. That's the first design I mentioned, where the 4 receptacles are wired in parallel to a single bus bar. ...
Bus Bar? is that a gizmo deeper into the inverter that is part of what moves things from 12v to 120v orrr??

Burbarian wrote:That will allow you to tie the receptacles in parallel, or even better, to draw directly from the two bus bar conductors....
Tie two together..... but there is four....... which two?? Their are four recepticals. text on the casing says they are max 1500w each.

As to draw directly from two bus bar conductors....... in english your saying??
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby coachgeo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:33 pm

also... what about a circuit breaker? Should I put one inline of the +Pos I pull out of the back; and if so how large? As it is now two oulets share 15A breaker on the back of the inverter. Not sure if that means 30amps all together or ...

Since I pulling out full power thru one line... do I go to a 30A breaker or should I stay with one 15A.

I dont see how 15A alone can do all the work of one small house. that Baffles me a little. 6000w surge but only 15A?

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:36 pm

coachgeo wrote:
SunWizard wrote:....You would also need to check the breaker box in the unit and make sure there is only a single 110v coming in and all the breakers are on the same hot wire.
Not following you, or your not following me??

This is like an RV.... there is only one powercord, only one path of power into the cabin, only one breaker box.... unless they split it at the box into two or more different paths???????

It depends on the plug, many RV's use a 220v plug now. If so, it may have 2 hot wires, split in the breaker box into 2 bus bars of 110v breakers, similar to how most houses are wired.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:38 pm

....This is like an RV....
there is only one powercord, only one path of power into the cabin, only one breaker box.... unless they split it at the box into two or more different paths???????

It depends on the plug, many RV's use a 220v plug now. If so, it may have 2 hot wires, split in the breaker box into 2 bus bars of 110v breakers, similar to how most houses are wired.

hmmmmm.. I've been out of the RV world for some time. I had never heard they were 220v. I'll check. It never occured to me.
Last edited by coachgeo on Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:39 pm

coachgeo wrote:also... what about a circuit breaker? Should I put one inline of the +Pos I pull out of the back; and if so how large? As it is now two oulets share 15A breaker on the back of the inverter. Not sure if that means 30amps all together or ...

Since I pulling out full power thru one line... do I go to a 30A breaker or should I stay with one 15A.

I dont see how 15A alone can do all the work of one small house. that Baffles me a little. 6000w surge but only 15A?

It sounds like a cheap china inverter. These don't put out what they are rated. With only 1 breaker, 15a will be the total you can get from it and you should wire using a single standard plug. Surge ratings are only for a fraction of a second and don't trip a breaker.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:45 pm

It sounds like a cheap china inverter. These don't put out what they are rated. With only 1 breaker, 15a will be the total you can get from it and you should wire using a single standard plug. Surge ratings are only for a fraction of a second and don't trip a breaker.
Yes cheap china.. not cheap to me. nearly 500 buks

but....... there are TWO 15amp breakers not one.

coachgeo

Postby coachgeo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:54 pm

SunWizard wrote:...you should wire using a single standard plug. Surge ratings are only for a fraction of a second and don't trip a breaker.
the single outlets/plug on this unit are rated at 1500w and the inverter is rated at 3000w / 6000 surge. Thats why I was trying to wire the outlets together or rewire from the inside, to access the full 3000 and not just 1500.

geez you guys are really confusing me lol

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:05 pm

If you are sure that both the outlet pairs are connected to each other inside, you could use 2 - 15a regular plugs wired together instead of trying to modify the insides. This will be simpler and better when the thing fries which the made in china ones often do.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:19 pm

SunWizard wrote:If you are sure that both the outlet pairs are connected to each other inside, you could use 2 - 15a regular plugs wired together instead of trying to modify the insides. This will be simpler and better when the thing fries which the made in china ones often do.
Was wondering about that. Why not all 4 pigged together if EACH outlet is rated at 1500watts??

Im sending Sun a copy of the diagram to his email. I've got no place to host it.

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:43 pm

coachgeo wrote:Was wondering about that. Why not all 4 pigged together if EACH outlet is rated at 1500watts??

No need for 4 since each side with its own breaker is only good for 15a, total of 30a=3300 watts. Diagram you sent me:
Surge rating is meaningless for this purpose.

Another good reason to not modify the insides is then you don't void the warranty (if any.)
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

SunWizard wrote:...No need for 4... Another good reason to not modify the insides is then you don't void the warranty (if any.)
Dealeo...... phewwwwwwww.... think we narrowed down a solution...

THANKS TO ALLL who batted around my nonscence trying to figure it out. Will pick up parts (hopefully) tommorow after I move another trailer full of my bits and pieces and parts from the back 40 of a friends place over to my place. Now if I can just find my dang Pintel hitch reciver to go on my twuk.

coachgeo

Previous

Return to Off topic banter