1987 Mercedes 300TD Wagon

A description and pics of your SVO WVO Vegetable Oil conversion, help the next person who gets that model.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:03 pm

I just completed the 2 tank VO conversion on the 87 300D wagon today. It likes the VO and wow what a car!
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:22 pm

congratulations on getting her all juiced up on veg.

Many miles to come Im sure.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

87 300TD

Postby daw » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:38 am

Hi SunWizard.

Do you still have your wagon? Nice looking vehicle!!!
2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
daw

Re: 87 300TD

Postby SunWizard » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:02 am

daw wrote:Hi SunWizard.
Do you still have your wagon? Nice looking vehicle!!!

Yes, and I really like it. Another nice thing about it is how it warms up the coolant much quicker than my 81 mercedes, so I can switch to VO sooner. Its fully warm in 1-2 miles. Mercedes really put a lot of new engineering into these cars, and keeping the engine compartment warm is one thing they did. If I still had the full belly pan I hear they warm up even quicker.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby rtarh2o » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:27 am

Sunwizard, is there a reason you went 2 tank with this one and not a blend? I am guessing that since it is a wagon you use it for trips and your sedan you blend since it is a daily driver?
I am still trying to figure out my G350, I really don't want to modify it much at all since it is such a rare vehicle (1 of 3 in the US) plus it is a daily driver and I am only about 4 miles from work and live in a small time so every thing I do during the week is a short jaunt. But it is on the road every weekend so.....
Do you recommend an inline fuel heater of some sort? I live in Texas so it rarely gets much below freezing, when it does I can add a bit more diesel to the tank. Seems like I recall you saying you use winter diesel in your 80/20 blend? I am not sure I can get winter diesel (it doesn't say on the pump) so how about a small percentage of rug with some summer diesel?
So how do you purge the system after replacing a filter, or after I add the inline heater. I am also going to add a pressure gauge. I have read about some people adding additional filters, do you think it is needed? I do have clean WVO, I upflow settle it, run it through a centrifuge then pump it through a goldenrod filter. I ran about 7,000 miles on my 6.2 Land Cruiser without any filter problems. Also, what about the fuel tank, does wvo loosen up crud in the tank that I need to worry about. In my Land Cruiser I had some crud coming out of the tank (it clogged my small pre-filter quickly) so I found a big screen filter at tractor supply (used for spraying equipment) it worked great, big enough it would never fill up.
I think that is it for now, I am ready to start blending just want to make sure I have it all correct before starting.
Rusty
1994 Mercedes G350DT
94 6.2 Diesel Toyota Land Cruiser 7,000 miles on blend (sold)
rtarh2o

Postby SunWizard » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:07 am

rtarh2o wrote:SunWizard, tell me more about your Mercedes blend? I have spoken with you on another forum. I recently bought a 94 Mercedes G350. It has the 3.5 liter 6 which is basically the same as your 5 cylinder from what you said.

No, its almost the same as my 87 3.0 liter 6 cylinder, in this thread.

I don't blend in it except the first 2000 miles, then I did a 2 tank rig. The fuel system of the 6 is the same as a 5 but much more power, and much quieter, and less maintenance since the valves are hydraulic and don't need adjusted every 15k.
I haven't really taken much of a look under the hood at mine but you say the IP has an oil line running through it? So basically it heats the fuel like a heated filter would do. So a heated filter would be overkill?

Not overkill since you need good heat before a filter to get better flow when cold. A FPHE is always the best. The motor oil takes a lot longer to warm up than the coolant. Yes, the IP has a hot oil flow going through it, and its one reason they last so long.
I am thinking about adding an extra fuel pump at the tank to help purge the system (I had one on my 6.2 diesel land cruiser) and it was great. Does the Mercedes need that, or does the filter actually bleed the system as was stated? What about after the filter? Is your system completely stock?

No pump needed, the stock one is mechanical piston and is the strongest you can get. The stock return flow purges air quickly.

My 81 is completely stock and runs on V80/D20 blend, and I stop using it below 20F when there is usually snow on my steep driveway and I need 4wd anyway.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby SunWizard » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:22 am

rtarh2o wrote:Sunwizard, is there a reason you went 2 tank with this one and not a blend? I am guessing that since it is a wagon you use it for trips and your sedan you blend since it is a daily driver?

Yes that plus the 81 is older & far cheaper and near to the end of its life (except engine) so I am willing to take more risk. Its mostly my wife's car, and she was afraid of switches or valves. So blending is safer for her, she would probably forget to do something everyday. She also does many short trips where a 2 tank rig wouldn't get hot enough to run on VO much, so blending saves more $.
Do you recommend an inline fuel heater of some sort?

I recommend 2 tank in anything you value. For single tank a FPHE is the best heat by far, and I would at least do that for yours due to its value.
I live in Texas so it rarely gets much below freezing, when it does I can add a bit more diesel to the tank. Seems like I recall you saying you use winter diesel in your 80/20 blend?

Yes.
I am not sure I can get winter diesel (it doesn't say on the pump) so how about a small percentage of rug with some summer diesel?

Many do that but it has many drawbacks listed in this thread:
RUG blending isn't as good.
So how do you purge the system after replacing a filter, or after I add the inline heater.

Air gets quickly purged through the stock return system by cranking. I fill the filter when I change, and then it starts right up and the tiny amount of air is gone in a few seconds.
I am also going to add a pressure gauge. I have read about some people adding additional filters, do you think it is needed?

Not if you filter well, I haven't had to change my stock filter that came on the 81 after 25k miles of blend.
Also, what about the fuel tank, does wvo loosen up crud in the tank that I need to worry about. In my Land Cruiser I had some crud coming out of the tank (it clogged my small pre-filter quickly) so I found a big screen filter at tractor supply (used for spraying equipment) it worked great, big enough it would never fill up.

Yes, and if you have crud its a good thing that VO or Bio will clean it out for you. I haven't ever had a crud probem in my 3 diesels. But I still always carry a spare filter and inline filter under the seat.
Last edited by SunWizard on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Sith_Slayer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:11 pm

Sun, that is a great lookin' car! I'm looking to FINALLY make the jump to diesel, and have been looking in earnest at '80 - '85 300's, particularly the DT wagons to cart my ginormous dogs around. Do I understand correctly that since your new '87 is your wife's daily driver, that you are ONLY blending (80/20) and have NOT installed a two-tank system? I figure I can blend until September, maybe October before needing to consider installing a 2-tank system, or picking up another vehicle (or both). Any thoughts/suggestions on where to install the 2nd tank in a wagon? I'm not keen on sacrificing the spare tire since Murphy's Law appears to be my nemesis of late. I've even considered mounting a 2nd tank in my Thule cargo carrier on TOP of the car. I may yet still end up with a sedan, in which case this all becomes academic. Either way, once the new MB is gracing the driveway with oil droplets, I hope to actually make it up for a NoCoVO gathering.
Sith_Slayer

Postby SunWizard » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Sith_Slayer wrote:Do I understand correctly that since your new '87 is your wife's daily driver, that you are ONLY blending (80/20) and have NOT installed a two-tank system?

No, the 81 300D is my wife's, and it gets blend. I have 2 tanked this one and its mine 8) .
Any thoughts/suggestions on where to install the 2nd tank in a wagon?

I put my 30 gallon tank on the left side of the cargo area, front to back its a good fit between the back seat and the back hatch, and about 12" wide x 12" tall x 35" deep. I can't use the 3rd seat anymore but it was really a strange position for someone to sit in anyway.
Either way, once the new MB is gracing the driveway with oil droplets, I hope to actually make it up for a NoCoVO gathering.

Amazingly this one leaves no droppings. The 81 does leave about a drip every few days, but not bad enough to tear into it. It would be good to meet you someday.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Sith_Slayer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:06 pm

I put my 30 gallon tank on the left side of the cargo area, front to back its a good fit between the back seat and the back hatch, and about 12" wide x 12" tall x 35" deep. I can't use the 3rd seat anymore but it was really a strange position for someone to sit in anyway.

I wasn't aware they made a third-row seat back then. I don't think I've ever seen one. Was that rolled out with the 86's? Where's your spare? Is it still in the left rear hatch compartment? Do you still have full/easy access to suspension, etc. with the 2nd tank back there? Hope to meet you guys sometime soon too.
Sith_Slayer

Postby SunWizard » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Sith_Slayer wrote:I wasn't aware they made a third-row seat back then. I don't think I've ever seen one. Was that rolled out with the 86's?

No the earlier wagons had it as an extra cost option as well. It faces backwards and your head is close to the hatch is the strange thing about sitting there. 87 was the last year for diesel wagons.
Where's your spare? Is it still in the left rear hatch compartment?

Yes.
Do you still have full/easy access to suspension, etc. with the 2nd tank back there?

Yes, I can loosen the straps holding the tank down and slide it to the right to get at the spare, suspension, etc.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: 1987 Mercedes 300TD Wagon

Postby senorgarcia » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:26 am

Just got this 1987 Mercedes 300TD 3.0 this week from a 85 year old lady in SF bay area for 3,800. Sweet and smooth ride at 169K Drove home 250 miles with no problems.
Well taken care of and Merc dealer maintained. Stereo has no volume control so I pulled it out and will put in a bluetooth stereo.

I'm going to make sure all is correct running order and then experiment with WVO. I've cleaned the engine and there seems to be no major oil leaks.

1. Can anyone tell me about the reservoir for the shocks? It looks low on fluid and dirty.

2. After only having it for two days the tension spring broke and I found it on the road. Made it home but bummed I have to wait (4 days now) for a new spring to cruiser her again. Any tips on installing the spring? Hope that's all that went wrong for week 1

3. The transmission seems to have a hard shift between 2nd and 3rd. Is it a vacuum issue? Kind of a loud clunk.

Thanks for any tips on my new purchase.

Anyone have any tips on running WVO. Should I run a blend?
My friend and I have been successfully running WVO in our w116, w123, and w126 vehicles
Just not up to speed on the newer diesel. Any idea where I can find a service manual?
senorgarcia

Previous

Return to Veggie Oil Conversion Vehicle Database