Insulation of CF processor?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Insulation of CF processor?

Postby HoldOnTight » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:11 am

Has anyone insulated their CF processor? I'm thinking about doing it, but I'd like to get some feedback on the idea. I have a setup similar to Sunwizard's...pump, 2 heating element warming tube, CF. All my lines are hard with the exception of the suction tube.
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Postby leftcoastjeff » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:14 pm

It's gotta help keep the electric bill lower or attian higher temps or both.

Wrap it up!

What about heat and settle, shorter to get to temp, longer to cool?

Maybe this thread should move to
Collecting, filtering and dewatering of veg.oil
'87F-250 stock, minus that pesky water seporator/air inlet, bone stock for now.

Thomas Edison says it best, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work”.
leftcoastjeff

Postby leftcoastjeff » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:37 pm

thank you Mr.Wizard

Lcjeff
'87F-250 stock, minus that pesky water seporator/air inlet, bone stock for now.

Thomas Edison says it best, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work”.
leftcoastjeff

Initial findings

Postby HoldOnTight » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:11 pm

I wanted to collect a few sets of data, uninsulated for 3 levels of oil in the drum. My last batch was nearly a full drum. Unfortunately, this was a very dirty batch, lots of water...uuugggh! It was taking FOREVER for heat to build up. So I ran a long extension cord from within the house to run the second heater. Wow, what a difference. Mind you this is still summer weather. Although I got the oil hot, I was stopping the CF every 30 min and getting a boatload of creamy stuff out of the CF. After 6 hours, it was still wet and dirty! :( Apparently, still peanut buttery emulsion that wouldn't break with heat and CF! Nonetheless, I have 3 sets of data for uninsulated temp vs time and I recorded the gallons in the drum for each set.

Back to the problem: I decided to try to dewater this batch as a first step, using the old fashioned heat and settle in an insulated drum...making progress but settling and separation is still slow.

One thing for sure though, having a second heating element makes a huge difference. I don't think insulation and one heating element can compare.

Cheers!
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering