F2F OC20 Centrifuge Filtration Unit

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

F2F OC20 Centrifuge Filtration Unit

Postby pb » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:24 pm

So I am over the filtering and settling method and ready to step up and go with a centrifuge. I am a little handy with tools, but I don't have many tools. I've been weighing the options of either piecing together a system, or going with this complete set-up that will show up at my front door for a bit over $1200. http://www.fryer-to-fuel.com/store/product202.html Any thoughts on if it's worth it or ideas on how I can save a significant amount of cash to get the same type of set-up? I typically filter 15-20 gal. at a time and need a unit that doesn't take up too much space, and works in the cold.
pb

Postby SunWizard » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:53 pm

I don't like that rig because they don't pump from the lowest point in the barrel. This can trap some water that settles out on the bottom of the barrel, making it take forever to dewater.

Also, that drum heater is about 10x slower and more wasteful than an inline heater as described in the dieselcraft thread. Because you need to heat the entire barrel up, instead of just the VO right before it enters the CF.

You can make a better setup for far less $ easily by buying the pump/motor and CF, and use a drop in bucket heater. Then its only a few simple plumbing connections to do, and get a barrel, all described in the dieselcraft thread here.
Last edited by SunWizard on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby pb » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:33 pm

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that method of heating the oil. How easy is it to find an adequate pump? Most of what I've seen online pumps way more than the recommended amount for that centrifuge, if it is something common I can find in a parts store or junkyard I can do that, But the city is about an hour away and I'm trying to avoid running all over the place piecing everything together. How do you get the oil from the barrel to the vehicle? Seems a pump at 55 gal./hr would take a while (my tank is 48 gal., but I usually process 15-20 gal. at a time).
pb

Postby SunWizard » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:14 pm

pb wrote:How easy is it to find an adequate pump?

Easy off the shelf, but they cost more. Not easy any other way.
How do you get the oil from the barrel to the vehicle? Seems a pump at 55 gal./hr would take a while (my tank is 48 gal., but I usually process 15-20 gal. at a time).

Same pump that I use for the CF is easiest, I just open a ball valve, it does about 2gpm flow so 7-9 minutes for your gallons.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering