Dewatering with CF Question - drum tilt angle

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Dewatering with CF Question - drum tilt angle

Postby HoldOnTight » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:39 am

Sun and anyone else with CF dewatering experience:

What angle must a flat bottom drum be tilted in order for water to flow toward the suction tube at the bottom edge of a drum?

Also, if the tilt is large enough to make tipping more likely, does anyone describe or post pictures that show's a good approach to stablize the drum.

Thanks!
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Postby SunWizard » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:58 am

Mine is 2" higher on 1 side. Its not likely to tip.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: Dewatering with CF Question - drum tilt angle

Postby powerstroke73L » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:52 pm

HoldOnTight wrote:Sun and anyone else with CF dewatering experience:

What angle must a flat bottom drum be tilted in order for water to flow toward the suction tube at the bottom edge of a drum?

Also, if the tilt is large enough to make tipping more likely, does anyone describe or post pictures that show's a good approach to stablize the drum.

I'm at work now and can't post pictures but I built a stand for my drum that I hope to eventually mount on some heavy duty casters I scrounged off of an old stick welder I scrapped. Since it's going to be rolling eventually I figured stability was pretty important so I used a cheap four foot ratchet strap to secure the top of the drum to the stand. It does the job pretty well. I'll try to snap some pics and post after work.
powerstroke73L

Postby HoldOnTight » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:22 pm

My CF tilt limit is spec'd at 15 degrees, as is most other brands I believe.

I've tilted my drum 12.5 degrees, but I fear it isn't as effective as other approaches.

So I'm torn between build my own cone bottom and welding it to the drum or buying one off the shelf and welding it to my drum. cost off the shelf: ~$30 + shipping ($35 from California) - ouch! But it may be cheaper once my fab. time if figured in. If I build my own cone bottom, I can make a steeper sloped cone bottom (45 deg. seems optimal).
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Postby 240Volvo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:09 pm

I remember someone using a bowling ball to make their own. Search at infopop.
1984 Volvo 240 diesel with a single tank Elsbett conversion: electric fuel filter heater, FPHE, glow plugs, and injectors. Also injector line heaters and block heater, running 20%kero/80%WVO winter blend.
240Volvo

Postby stickman8513 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:33 am

I'm thinking of tring to weld both sides closed then stick it sideway then cust open the new ''top'' weld on a large steel pipe treading maybe like a foot diam. with a large pipe threaded cap for caenterfuge flow,basically like a 18 wheeler reserve tank....then fitting for the intake on botton....then water release/ intake ballvalve.....then the pipe threading for the ''top'' have flow from centerfuge piped in with ball valve for turn off dirt drop off center piped in the middle with pipe off ball to a storage purge where waterered oil goes.....I know its all just ''pipe dreams'' now but hey.....
Hey I'm here arn't I?
stickman8513

Postby canolafunola » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:12 pm

I can tilt my drum as much as I want before it topples over but I usually set it at a safe height of 5 inches. My CF is mounted on a union for quick on/off which also allow it to be leveled at any drum tilt.

HoldOnTight wrote:My CF tilt limit is spec'd at 15 degrees, as is most other brands I believe.

I've tilted my drum 12.5 degrees, but I fear it isn't as effective as other approaches.

So I'm torn between build my own cone bottom and welding it to the drum or buying one off the shelf and welding it to my drum. cost off the shelf: ~$30 + shipping ($35 from California) - ouch! But it may be cheaper once my fab. time if figured in. If I build my own cone bottom, I can make a steeper sloped cone bottom (45 deg. seems optimal).
93 Gulfstream RV w Cummins 5.9 diesel pusher
canolafunola

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering