Diesel Generator help

Its like a chat room. This is where your post gets moved if you get too far off topic.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Diesel Generator help

Postby coachgeo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:42 pm

I have a 6000kw diesel yanmar (or clone of) diesel generator. Basically one for construction sites it appears. Not a welder/generator

I have no manual and the key start has been dissasembled. Looking for help on how and where to wire it back up. Battery was not installed either and negative cable is missing (or not suppose to be there?) so Im not sure how to reinstall battery, neg. cable. and key switch.

Anyone got a manual close to this type of generator?

Anyone got a guess on where the key switch should be wired up. One wire is attached and the other is hanging and I have no clue where it goes.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Re: Diesel Generator help

Postby David » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:35 pm

coachgeo wrote:I have a 6000kw diesel yanmar (or clone of) diesel generator.

That is one hell of a Big generator!
You could not only use it on the construction site but run a tall building off it when it's Finished :shock:
There will certainly be a WVO shortage in your area if you try running it off Veg! :lol:

Most of these are around 6KW.

You could try some of the Chinese manufacturer sites, they often have exploded engine and wiring diagrams.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Re: Diesel Generator help

Postby coachgeo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:37 pm

David wrote:
coachgeo wrote:I have a 6000kw diesel yanmar (or clone of) diesel generator.

That is one hell of a Big generator!
You could not only use it on the construction site but run a tall building off it when it's Finished :shock: ....
My bad 6000W not KW

coachgeo

Postby coachgeo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:42 pm

bump to the top.

anyone got a generator to look at that could relay to me the basic set up of the wiring from the key to the battery.

Ive got one wire attached to the key start and it goes to the starter if I recall right. Genset is 30min away from here so I can't walk out and check

A second wire; also attached to the key switch, is just there. NO clue where the other end of this wire is suppose to go. the starter key is one one side of the generator and the starter motor is on opposit side. both wires from key switch are long and reach the starter side of the motor. Just one is attached to the starter.

coachgeo

Postby coachgeo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:53 pm

Just an update. Got the starter motor working. this 10hp Yanmar engine purrs to life nearly instantly.

using a generic model of ....

+ Battery to starter solinod
- battery to ground (Genset frame)

wire 1 of 2 from key to battery +
Wire 2 from key switch to solinoid to complete path when key is turned. this wire was already installed.

What I dont have I do not think is anything charging the battery. Im sure the motor has some sort of magnito that since its not a gasser... is used to charge the battery. There is a little electrical gizmo on the side of the engine that well could be a voltage regulator. It has wires that run under the cover of the pull start area and open wires on the other end ready to be plugged to something. Im guessing this is part of the charging circuit.

But for now its starting by key. No more daily wrestling pull starting a high compression engine. Will set up charging circuit when I get a manual to set it up right. I can charge it quickly (lawn mower battery) with a battery charger while the main batteries to the cabin are charging.

coachgeo

Return to Off topic banter