blending in a Toyota L?

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

blending in a Toyota L?

Postby christopher t » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:22 pm

Hi there.
Because of time and money i haven't converted my Toyota pickup to burn veggie yet. I am wondering what others think about blending in this vehicle. I have a '81 diesel pickup with 'L' engine (2.2L)
I hope to have a cf system setup soon, so the oil should be pretty clean.

Thanks for any advice.
-christopher
christopher t

Postby froggo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:26 am

Hi christopher t,

I have a 1980 Toyota LC with a "H" motor. I am running a two tank system but I still blend my diesel in the start up tank.

It is winter over here so I have been blending 25%wvo, 70%diesel and 5% rug.

I've had no problems with this blend so far. When the summer arrives I'm looking to try 50%wvo, 40%diesel and 10%rug.

God bless froggo.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!

HJ45 Landcruiser, 2 tank wvo homemade system.
froggo

Postby 240Volvo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:53 am

What is your climate, and where are you located, christopher t?
1984 Volvo 240 diesel with a single tank Elsbett conversion: electric fuel filter heater, FPHE, glow plugs, and injectors. Also injector line heaters and block heater, running 20%kero/80%WVO winter blend.
240Volvo

Postby christopher t » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:03 am

Oh yeah, i am in Colorado where the summer is hot but shorter. And i am only wondering about the blending during the warm above 80 degree days. But actually the temperature just dropped to below 70 reminding me that the cold will soon be here.

I have read here of people, like sunwizard running his 300d only blending without any conversion. I was hoping to do the same for a month or so, but don't want to cause any problems.

I am planning to do a 2 tank before winter.
christopher t

Postby zoochy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:34 am

Your “L” is an indirect injection and as such, should be a perfect candidate for burning veg.

Can’t foresee any issues w/ running on a blend other than the usual filters clogging for the first while. I recommend adding a different fuel filter up stream of your stock filter, as our Toyota filters are not cheap to replace. See my post under the "Converted Vehicle" section of this forum.

Good luck!
91 Toyota Hiace 3L engine w/ a 300W ½” heated fuel line, lift pump, additional 10um fuel filter, and a 2nd diesel tank for starting.
>160,000 km on:
88% canola WVO
11% old gasoline
.6% turpentine
.3% acetone
.1% eye of newt
zoochy

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending