Water injection. Some new observations.

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Water injection. Some new observations.

Postby David » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:44 pm

Since January last year I have been running a home made WI system on my NA 300D.
I noted an initial rapid improvement in performance and then a very slight but continuing one for about 6 months at which point the performance seemed to level out.
My main reason for fitting the WI system in the first place was to combat the dreaded and over hyped Coking problem but the performance gains were a very welcome side effect.

I have at times mixed 50% methanol in with the water which has given the car a noticeable performance boost ( makes it go like a real car as I say).
Due to the fact I get the Meth off a friend who won't take any money for it and that it is consumed rather quick, I have mainly only used it when on longer trips and with a load on board as a very helpful assistance in getting up long highway speed hills without holding up the heavy trucks behind me! :(

Recently I have gone on a couple of these trips fairly quick and I also procured an amount of straight ethanol at a give away price. The performance boost is addictive so I have been using this more than I normally would.

From these trips and the use of the meth/ eth, I have noticed a significant improvement in the way the car runs when the WI is not operating as well as when it is. If I don't refill the tank even with water for a week, the thing goes like a veritable Slug ( even for a 300D!) Once the water is refilled, performance comes back after 2-3 hours of driving.
The " Off boost" performance after running some alcohol has been the surprise. Even when there is no meth/eth in the system, the engine runs noticeably smoother, starts easier and just goes better with more power and responsiveness.

For a while.

I have also noticed after about a week on just plain water, the performance drops off again especially in the responsiveness. The system is too small for any residual meth to be present in the system and then diluted so there is something in the engine occouring to account for this change but as yet I haven't formed an opinion as to what that may be.

One thing I do believe is that idling in traffic causes some sort of detrimental effect that the WI, especially with the alcohol, removes or fixes. Perhaps this is some sort of buildup on the valves or injectors. A good long run on the highway with plain water in the WI system and using lots of throttle restores the sharp end performance but not as quick as the WI will with the alco added.

After a bottle of plain water is added after the alco mix, the car still runs very well without the power boost. After maybe 3-400KM in suburban traffic, the performance gradually declines and the car loses its performance edge. This is a bit disconcerting at first as one immediately thinks something is going wrong, maybe with the IP. A shot of meth blend and all is very well again for another week after the meth mix is discontinued and straight water is used.

As I said, I'm not sure as to why this is happening but it does provide to me a very real and noticeable illustration of the positive effect the WI has on the engine and leaves me in no doubt whatsoever as to its very high value in keeping my engine running at its best on Veg. :D

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby BMW Fan » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:50 am

I'd assume that your injectors are not atomizing but peeing.
If alcohol comes to play it burns of some of the crud.
Hence a better performance….at least for some time.
I don’t understand why you don’t go the normal route and do the basics before you go with “ power enhancing “ measures.
Before a conversion is done it is essential that the engines runs perfect on plain Diesel.
As a photographer it is like doing a very bad picture and enhancing it digitally and claim that that is the real world.

BMW Fan
BMW Fan

Postby David » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:22 am

Hello, BMWfan,

Your supposition of the injectors peeing does have merit even if the rest of your post sounds like you got out of the wrong side of the bed.
There are in fact many reasons why I didn't " go the normal route" as you put it, the main one being that I didn't put the WI system on there as a power enhancing measure in the first place.

As the title of my post said, I was just making observations on what I had noticed was happening with the WI and the alcohol.

I am looking at doing the injector tips and deciding whether to build a pop tester like suns or just get some prices from diesel shops for them to just do the testing for me.

Thanks for your thoughts anyway and I hope you start feeling happier soon! :D

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby BMW Fan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:45 pm

I feel pretty happy :lol: and if my input is not welcome feel free to say so.

Would a photographer change the camera if the objective is scratched ?
Does not sound logic to me, or does it ?

Greetings from the "right" side of bed.

BMW Fan
BMW Fan

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion