Dieselcraft WVO centrifuge works great-My filter dewater rig

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:27 pm

gypsyjake wrote:I'm am psyched to have been turned on to this forum, really awesome work. Convinced me to buy a centrifuge, where there a lot of naysayers in other forums. I noticed this picture http://www.xyzworks.com/mobile1.jpg of your mobile unit (it is right?).

No thats old, I use the same rig described on page 1 for mobile since it gives much faster dewatering. Thats also why I lowered the CF down inside the barrel enough that a barrel lid can be clamped on for when moving.
I know how you stress being able to catch the discharge when you turn the pump off and was wondering
1. How you attached that T/Ball valve to the base of the centrifuge like that in order to easily catch the discharge?

They usually come with a pipe threaded mounting base which you can see in the pictures.
2. Have you had any problems with oil backing up and slowing down the centrifuge?

You can solve that with a vent tube in a tee just below the CF, see the diagram on the water heater version on page 1.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby SunWizard » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:19 am

I did another 45 gallon batch with my centrifuge today, FFA=1%, some PHO so it was cloudy looking, here are the results, start and endpoints measured with Sandy Brae:
Interesting how it leveled off after 3 hours and the 4th hour didn't change the water amount. One thing I wonder and will test someday is whether it levels off at a different % saturation depending on the ambient air humidity.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby truthstar » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:27 pm

where could I go to acquire the same heating elements that you use for your OC-20 set up? I was going to go with a band heater, but your solution seems more sensible.

you mentioned in your megapost about tilting the 55 barrel so that you suck from the very bottom, i was wondering if you came up with a solution for this yet? I was thinking of welding a frame that could hold the barrel at a angel so that I can achieve that.

i'm planning to go with a OC-50 centrifuge, still trying to decide on a pump, know a well priced one that would be good?

thank you.
truthstar

Postby SunWizard » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:53 pm

truthstar wrote:where could I go to acquire the same heating elements that you use for your OC-20 set up? I was going to go with a band heater, but your solution seems more sensible.

Home depot or anyplace with a plumbing dept. since they are used in any electric water heater.
you mentioned in your megapost about tilting the 55 barrel so that you suck from the very bottom, i was wondering if you came up with a solution for this yet?

Yes the solution I have used since day 1 is tilting my barrel.
i'm planning to go with a OC-50 centrifuge, still trying to decide on a pump, know a well priced one that would be good?

The ones I linked in post#1 are still the best for an off the shelf pump/motor:
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=330
These should work with an OC-20 or 50, and ff25 and 60:
pump only look at look at part# 4271K12 $196
pump/motor ready to go part# 4272K31 $396
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby truthstar » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:28 am

What is the specs for the second heating element? Under your breakdown of the parts I don't see the second heater, for the smaller one towards the bottom. I found the longer heater for the top part of the pipe, but wasn't sure about the bottom one.

Also can you go into detail how you accomplished your tilt set up? I don't take much from the photos.

Best way to cut the bottom of a 55 barrel?

Thanks
truthstar

Postby SunWizard » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:28 am

truthstar wrote:What is the specs for the second heating element? Under your breakdown of the parts I don't see the second heater, for the smaller one towards the bottom. I found the longer heater for the top part of the pipe, but wasn't sure about the bottom one.

They are both the same.
Also can you go into detail how you accomplished your tilt set up? I don't take much from the photos.

Its up on blocks, and the blocks are higher on 1 side.
Best way to cut the bottom of a 55 barrel?

Any way you like to cut metal. I used a cutting torch. Another way is drilling a hole then a saw with a metal blade, then a grinder to dull any sharp places. Or just a grinder.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby truthstar » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:01 am

I've been reading that PHO gets past a CF setup because it's heated.

Is it possible to run your oil through the CF cold to catch the PHO then heat it up to handle the water side of cleaning?
truthstar

Postby SunWizard » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:44 am

truthstar wrote:I've been reading that PHO gets past a CF setup because it's heated.

Yes. If your WVO conversion is heated, PHO works fine, I use it about half the time. If its not heated, you should avoid weather <30F even if you don't get PHO.
Is it possible to run your oil through the CF cold to catch the PHO then heat it up to handle the water side of cleaning?

Yes but its not practical since you may have to stop and empty it hundreds of times. The best way to remove it is cold settling, and then you end up with a barrel full of sludge which is hard to deal with since it doesn't pump.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby truthstar » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:04 pm

I made a quick purchase of a OC-20 auction and got basically your set up along with it the person had been using it.

It has one heating unit rather than two, has welded joints so no leaks!

I have asked the guy I bought it from, but still am confused. What do you take from his diagram what exactly his purpose of building it this was for?

I have all I need to set up like yours.

What would you suggest a good, cheap method would be to measure the temperature of the heating element?

Thanks
truthstar

Postby SunWizard » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:20 pm

truthstar wrote:What do you take from his diagram what exactly his purpose of building it this was for?

Without knowing how the valves were operated its hard to guess. 1 barrel is enough for me. Maybe he thought the batch should be run through only once, from 1 barrel to the other?
What would you suggest a good, cheap method would be to measure the temperature of the heating element?

I have used both a cheap IR non-contact thermometer and an analog one that threads into a pipe thread tee. The IR one is handy to check multiple points for WVO temperature.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:16 pm

truthstar wrote:What do you take from his diagram what exactly his purpose of building it this was for?

Extra un-necessary complication and expense for no practical gain??

It seems to be a big thing in veg oil circles and lots of people seem to be right into it! :roll:

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby truthstar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:26 pm

sorta bummed, the kit I bought on eBay with the oc20 motor and pump didn't work out. the pump appears to be dead

suggestions for a good power steering pump? what should I be looking for? I assume age is important as a new one may not work or too old one. thanks
truthstar

Postby SunWizard » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:53 pm

truthstar wrote:suggestions for a good power steering pump? what should I be looking for?

80s Acura or any other one that is a gear pump, and not a vane pump.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby truthstar » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:55 pm

I got an email from the previous owner telling me that he hadn't used it in awhile and he thinks some cold WVO is clogging it, he told me to take a torch to heat it up, but I don't have one readily available.

Suggestions of how I can heat this pump up so that I maybe able to loosen that cold WVO utilizing household ways? I was thinking of wrapping it in a plastic bag and submerging it in very hot water.

Ether way I am getting another pump this weekend out of a Small Block Chevy.

Thanks
truthstar

Postby SunWizard » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:06 pm

truthstar wrote:Suggestions of how I can heat this pump up so that I maybe able to loosen that cold WVO utilizing household ways? I was thinking of wrapping it in a plastic bag and submerging it in very hot water.

Put the pump part (not motor) directly into boiling water. Although I doubt that cold VO is the problem, mine will turn no matter how cold.
Ether way I am getting another pump this weekend out of a Small Block Chevy.

If thats an oil pump you are talking, it won't put out enough pressure (>80psi).
SunWizard
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering