50/50 blend?

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

50/50 blend?

Postby leftcoastjeff » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:34 pm

50/50 blend in my unconverted truck?

50% #2
50% filtered WVO (no water)

Will this work in my temperate climate?

I cold filter.

Very new to blending, please be gentle.

LCjeff
'87F-250 stock, minus that pesky water seporator/air inlet, bone stock for now.

Thomas Edison says it best, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work”.
leftcoastjeff

Postby SunWizard » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:46 am

It will work as far as it will start and run. The big unknown with all blending is if it will shorten the life of the engine. If you pay attention to any signs of changes in how it runs, starts, increased smoke, etc. you may catch any problem before it gets serious. Which is good to do even if you run 100% D2.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby 240Volvo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:59 am

Why not so at least a FPHE and a block heater. Monterey is chilly at night in my experience. If you were to increase your injector pop pressure and advance your timing, you will accomplish a lot of what elsbett does, except for the band heater on the fuel filter, which is not a bad idea. VO can thicken up in the filter. Stanadyne also makes a heater that goes into the filter compartment. This of course assumes that all glow plugs and injectors are good. I know it sounds like you don't what to convert, but....
1984 Volvo 240 diesel with a single tank Elsbett conversion: electric fuel filter heater, FPHE, glow plugs, and injectors. Also injector line heaters and block heater, running 20%kero/80%WVO winter blend.
240Volvo

Blending D-2 verses RUG

Postby mixer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:41 am

Hello leftcoastjeff, research shows that a blend of 50/50 Diesel/WVO produces the lowest emissions, and seems to run reliably in warm climates; however, there is anecdotal evidence that suggests that D-2 might not be the best blending fuel for vegetable oils in the winter, at which time kerosene, or unleaded gasoline at up to 30% in the winter time is best.

Best regards,
Advocating blending 5-30% gasoline with WVO in the tank from the pump is far less dangerous than blending a few ounces of two-stroke oil into a can of gasoline for a lawnmower.
mixer

Postby leftcoastjeff » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:43 am

"I know it sounds like you don't what to convert, but...."

On the contrary, I'm going to be running 100% WVO as soon as I can come up with the$$$$ for the parts or find someone to trade.....

"Monterey is chilly at night in my experience."

Rarely freezes, mostly in the 50Fs and mid 40Fs and IMHO I have fairly clean, very dry, high melt fat free Canola/peanut oil

Already holding 100gal. in my strategic oil reserve.

Just thought I could run a blend a lot easier, and if so, use blend to startup and purge.

LCjeff

"Note to self, The cell phone will not work as the mouse!"

Thomas Edison says it best, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work”.
leftcoastjeff

Postby leftcoastjeff » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:07 pm

So, from what I read, kerosene seems to be the best.

Start with, say, 20%VO, 50% #2D, 30%kerosene?
Then slowly replace #2D with VO?

Thoughts?

LCjeff

leftcoastjeff

Postby John Galt » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:21 pm

leftcoastjeff wrote:Start with, say, 20%VO, 50% #2D, 30%kerosene?
Then slowly replace #2D with VO?

That seems like a good plan. Check the exhaust for smoke on start-up; no smoke then the blend is OK.
Get easier start-up, with more complete combustion when cold by using plug-in preheat and 5% RUG in the mix.
Adding a FPHE to the system will also improve combustion, especially when operating in the winter cold.

The only problem with good VO blends is that once you see how easy it is with a minimal investment in vehicle mods, then a 100% SVO system for thousands of dollars more becomes less attractive. Besides in a lot of places, finding a good VO source to even consider 100% SVO, is becoming more difficult. If all one can get is "Goat-vomit WVO" then brewing biodiesel to clean it becomes a viable option.
John Galt

Postby leftcoastjeff » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:57 pm

John Galt wrote:Get easier start-up, with more complete combustion when cold by using plug-in preheat and 5% RUG in the mix."

How cold is cold? (average temps 45F-65F)

John Galt wrote:Adding a FPHE to the system will also improve combustion, especially when operating in the winter cold..

Ditto

John Galt wrote:The only problem with good VO blends is that once you see how easy it is with a minimal investment in vehicle mods, then a 100% SVO system for thousands of dollars more becomes less attractive. Besides in a lot of places, finding a good VO source to even consider 100% SVO, is becoming more difficult. If all one can get is "Goat-vomit WVO" then brewing biodiesel to clean it becomes a viable option.

No "Goat-vomit WVO" as of yet, just dry oil needing filtering.

Honestly, here in Monterey there are so many restaurants!!!!
One block on the main drag,
2 sushi places,
Intl. deli,
Korien BBQ,
Pasta,
Mex,
2 Pizza places,(One great, one cardboard)
A great bakery
and on the end phisical therapy with nail salon, red cross and SCUBA regulator repair throwen in for good measure.

And that's just ONE block near Cannery row!!!!

On with the plan
To simplify....
25%WVO 25%kerosene 50%dinosnot.
Can I mix in the tank of the truck?

LCjeff

leftcoastjeff

Postby John Galt » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:00 pm

I'd premix the kero and VO, then put that mix in the tank and add D2 for the final concentration you want the engine to see.

What is cold?
I consider anything cooler than T-shirt weather to be cold, so does a diesel engine burning VO.
John Galt

Postby SunWizard » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:52 pm

Looks like a good plan. I wouldn't do a block heater until <40F, unless your truck is smoky for more than 2 seconds at startup.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby leftcoastjeff » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:07 pm

I pluged the block heater for the first time,
1000 Watts!!!
sounded like a coffee maker in there (hiss, hiss)

Is that normal?

LCjeff

leftcoastjeff

Postby SunWizard » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:49 pm

leftcoastjeff wrote:sounded like a coffee maker in there (hiss, hiss)

Is that normal?

Yes.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending