Mini report Back after 20 000 Miles(32 000Km)

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Mini report Back after 20 000 Miles(32 000Km)

Postby Zulu » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:58 am

I have decided to get rid of my experimental W123 300D. It was getting very rusted and the kids didn't want to drive in it any more. So after 20 000 miles, decided to sell it and replace it with a 85 W123 300D, that was in beautiful condition. Paid the equal of US$3000 for it. Has no rust, aircon, central locking. etc etc. Inside it is in beautiful condition, even the dash is perfect with no cracks. I sold my old Merc to a friend, who wants to set the motor up to run a generator on his farm... anyway, he is a real take it apart kind of guy and wanted to also have some fun with the motor.

He removed the injectors and tested the spray pattern, and was perfect. There was no gumming in the injectors at all and all were still at the same or spec pressure. The pre chamber was as clean as can be, no carbon build up at all. What he did say was on the flat face of the injector, it was black, but according to him, no more black than running on normal diesel. Then he tested the compression and found it still to be well over spec, 20, was the number he used... with a brand new motor in the region of 23... So all in all a really good motor.

He is one of the WVO doom prophets and he said he has to "re calibrate his thinking"(He really says stuff like that) because he thought he was going to see some bad damage in the injectors and pump and pre chamber, and thought that after the distance I have travelled, the motor would be on it's way out, but he is very happy with the engine he bought. Seems the WVO had no noticeable negative effect on it at all...

On my "new" Merc I have now covered 5000Km already, and loving every second of it. Just wish the winter would now leave so that I can start using my Free Palm Oil... but summer is on the way..

Happy veg motoring!!
Living in Africa, Driving on the goodness of the Sun and the rain, and loving every Km of it!!

72000 Km on the greasy stuff already... Oh Africa.. such a nice place to live!!!
Zulu

Postby mixer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:32 am

Hello Zulu, and thank-you for posting such an excellent testemonial to running WVO on an old Mercedes, but, how about telling us what you did? Did you run a classic two-tank, heated system, or run a blend? or just run 100% WVO with no mechanical mods, no chemical reactions, or blends?
Advocating blending 5-30% gasoline with WVO in the tank from the pump is far less dangerous than blending a few ounces of two-stroke oil into a can of gasoline for a lawnmower.
mixer

Postby Zulu » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:41 am

Suppose that would not be asking to much at all....

I have an electric pump to pump the fuel from the tank, then pump it through a 1 micron water filter, through a 12 plate FPHE and then into the injector pump. I start on WVO and do not blend at all.

The oil I collect from the restaurants and so on, let it stand in the sun for a week or 2, then pour it into a 44 gallon drum and then when I need the oil, I pump it out and this then also goes through a 1 micron water filter and into the tank.

I never pour the last bit out of the 20L container, this I pour into a waste barrel that I then put back in the sun and so on, till the barrel is full of all the crud, and then I dump it. I am collecting tonight a centrifuge so that I can spin off the oil from the crud and thereby save some of the oil that was previously being dumped.

I run my car like this as well as my Father. He has a '77 123 300D that he also runs on the oil, and we are happy, he is, saving us tons of moolah and well, what can I say. Just regret that I never did this 10 years ago.
Living in Africa, Driving on the goodness of the Sun and the rain, and loving every Km of it!!

72000 Km on the greasy stuff already... Oh Africa.. such a nice place to live!!!
Zulu

Postby mixer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:10 am

Thanks, Zulu, your story is a great testimonial for the durability and flexibility of the early Mercedes diesels, which seem to be able to burn anything. Unfortunately, most other diesel engines are more picky about fuel viscosity. I have heard that diesel engines have been used to burn coal dust in a slurry with water. It would be interesting to try that on an old Mercedes, but I bet it would cut the engine life short, because coal has some silica in it, which would likely wear the engine down in a short time.
Advocating blending 5-30% gasoline with WVO in the tank from the pump is far less dangerous than blending a few ounces of two-stroke oil into a can of gasoline for a lawnmower.
mixer

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending