Running Diesel Engine With a Coal Slurry

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Running Diesel Engine With a Coal Slurry

Postby mixer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:33 am

Running Diesel Engine With a Coal Slurry, By EDMUND L. ANDREWS
Published: September 9, 1989

An engineer at Defense Research Technologies Inc. of Rockville, Md., a research concern specializing in fluid control, has patented a device that makes it possible to power a diesel engine with a coal slurry.

An engineer at Defense Research Technologies Inc. of Rockville, Md., a research concern specializing in fluid control, has patented a device that makes it possible to power a diesel engine with coal slurry.

The inventor, Allen B. Holmes, said the device could be an economical alternative to petroleum fuels for large engines like those used in ships and locomotives.

The coal slurry consists of roughly equal parts of water and coal dust, and it must be sprayed into a combustion chamber as a fine mist in order to be burned. Mr. Holmes said the problem was that the slurry is a balky fluid that comes out of a nozzle as a mist only under very high pressure. The pressure of the streaming coal particles, however, wears out nozzles almost immediately.

Mr. Holmes's invention resolves that with a new nozzle that spews out liquid as a conical sheet, like a witch's hat. As the cone spreads out, the sheet becomes thinner and the particles separate into droplets. By applying comparatively small amounts of pressure, Mr. Holmes said, the liquid becomes a mist virtually as soon as it leaves the nozzle.

The device is being incorporated in an experimental engine being built by Adiabatics Inc. of Columbus, Ind.

Mr. Holmes received patent 4,862,837.

Sources:

Published: September 9, 1989, New York Times, Wednesday, August 27, 2008
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A96F948260
Advocating blending 5-30% gasoline with WVO in the tank from the pump is far less dangerous than blending a few ounces of two-stroke oil into a can of gasoline for a lawnmower.
mixer

Postby mixer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:05 am

DIESEL ENGINES TORQUE IT UP, Friday 28th January 2005

Manek Dubash looks at the diesel's long and honourable history
Born in Paris of Bavarian parents, Rudolf Diesel (1858-1913) studied at Munich Polytechnic where he was an outstanding mechanical engineering student. He began his career as a refrigerator engineer. For ten years he worked on various heat engines, including a solar-powered air engine.

Backed by Baron von Krupp and Machinenfabrik Augsburg Nurnberg Company in Germany, he began experimenting with a high-pressure ammonia engine. In 1892 Rudolf Diesel was issued a patent for a proposed engine that air would be compressed so much that the temperature would far exceed the ignition temperature of the fuel. In other words, no spark would be needed to ignite te mixture.

His backers provided him with engineers to help him develop an engine that would burn coal dust -- at the time, there were mountains of useless coal dust piled up in the Ruhr valley...

Experimental engines

The first experimental engine was built in 1893 and used high pressure air to blast the coal dust into the combustion chamber. While the prototype blew its cylinder head off but, four years later, Diesel produced a reasonably reliable engine. His ideas for an engine where the combustion would be carried out within the cylinder were published in 1893, one year after he applied for his first patent.

Further developments using coal dust as fuel failed. A compression ignition engine that used oil as fuel was successful and a number of manufacturers were licensed to build similar engines.

Bibliography :

Running Diesel Engines with Coal Slurry

Published: September 9, 1989, New York Times, Wednesday, August 27, 2008
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A96F948260
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/veggie_fu ... message/66

Proceedings of the Twelfth Annual Energy-Sources Technology Conference and Exhibition, January 22-25, 1989, Houston, Texas.
http://catalog.asme.org/ConferencePubli ... ngines.cfm

Micronized coal-water fuel slurry for reciprocating internal-combustion engines
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4335684.html

New Trends in Coal Preparation Technologies and Equipment, By Wieslaw S. Page 341, the full documentation of papers presented at the XII International Coal Preparation Congress (ICPC), held in Kraków, Poland, May 23-27, 1994.
http://books.google.com/books?id=HvbJbp ... &ct=result

Energy Citations Database
Coal-fueled diesel systems for stationary power applications: Task 1, Assessment of merit: Topical report, 1986 Sep 01, DOE/MC/22182-2242, Little (Arthur D.), Inc., Cambridge, MA (USA)
http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/pro ... id=6619036

High-concentration coal–water slurry from Indian coals using newly developed additives
Kaushal K. TiwariCorresponding Author Contact Information, E-mail The Corresponding Author, Sibendra K. Basu, Kumaresh C. Bit, Somnath Banerjee and Kamlesh K. Mishra; Central Fuel Research Institute, P.O. FRI-828108, Dhanbad, India; Received 1 July 2002; revised 27 February 2003; accepted 24 March 2003.; Available online 26 July 2003. Fuel Processing Technology Volume 85, Issue 1, 15 January 2004, Pages 31-42
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... 3b6dc58224

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=9773
Advocating blending 5-30% gasoline with WVO in the tank from the pump is far less dangerous than blending a few ounces of two-stroke oil into a can of gasoline for a lawnmower.
mixer

Postby coachgeo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:49 pm

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info.

the injector that could shoot the coal slurry into such a fine mist I bet would be awsome with WVO too.

Innnteresting.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby mixer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:33 am

Hello coachgeo, yes, the subject of burning coal dust slurry in a diesel engine is very interesting. The articles seem to suggest that a stock diesel engine and injector pump can do this, but only the injectors have to be replaced. Coal does have a certain amount of silica in it, which one would think would act like sandpaper on the engine parts and wear the engine out fast.
mixer

Postby BMW Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:16 pm

As a foreigner I admit problems with the English language.
What MIXER does is kind of strange to me, but entertaining

Instead of going for facts it is always…..I have heard of….it seems to suggest….

( Quote MIXER ) The articles seem to suggest that a stock diesel engine and injector pump can do this, but only the injectors have to be replaced. ( Quote )

I believe it dangerous and honestly that kind of info counts as fairy tales for me.
No stock Diesel engine can be used. Never, ever. The suggestion is false.

I believe in facts.

Coal dust and coal water slurry were tested in a 1- Cylinder test engine.
The engine equipped with a pre-chamber and indirect injection was treated and coated inside to withstand the heat.
The water cooling was dismantled to increase heat inside the combustion chamber.
The engine would run just perfect but not very long.
The then existing lubricating oil would not stand to the performance.
Because of the abrasiveness of the coal / slurry mix the injector did not last long, too.
The pre-chamber would melt because of the high heat.
These test were done in the late 80’s beginning 90’s.

There are no engines available for sale nor is anybody working to get a prototype going.

These are no tales but facts. There is no engine running but there are plenty of patents and the oldest ones are from Rudolf himself.

BMW Fan

http://www.crawldog.com/klausold/
BMW Fan

Abusive and harassing attitudes

Postby mixer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:51 pm

BMW Fan wrote:I believe it dangerous and honestly that kind of info counts as fairy tales for me.
Hello BMW Fan, do you think that the above quote constitutes abusive language? Is your need to criticize my work, even when I have clearly shown that your previous criticism was completely false, a form of harassment?

If you do consistently find that you do not like what someone writes, is it possible for you to simply ignore what they have to say? And, can you express your point of view without making it personal? Or, do you feel compelled to express yourself offensively, when you encounter something someone writes or says that you do not agree with?

Best regards,

Jeffrey S, Brooks
mixer

Postby BMW Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:12 pm

Could you accept that I tried to show facts instead of more tales.
I honestly believe that a researcher for 35 years can do better then post suggestions.
But I may live in a different world.
Any comment to the facts ? Thoughts ?

BMW Fan
Last edited by BMW Fan on Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW Fan

Postby BMW Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:32 pm

I forgot to mention that the coal / water / slurry test
invented and patented by Allen B. Holmes, your article from 1989,
was done as a bench test only.
Never on a engine.

BMW Fan
BMW Fan

Postby mixer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:29 pm

Hello BMW Fan, goodness! It looks like I am going to be hearing a lot from you. And, it seems you hold to some pretty strong points of view that run counter to my years of research. Since you mentioned that English is not your native language, I just wanted to compliment you on your command of the written English language. So, let's get to know you a little better. What is your native language? Where are you from? What is your interest in fuel blends? Have you been running any? Do you own an automobile with a diesel engine? How long have you been experimenting with diesel bio-fuels?

So, you did not like my bibliography on burning coal dust in a diesel engine. Well, I was able to prove that your belief that it was not possible, was incorrect. And, I backed it up with a pretty extensive bibliography.

And, in your fairly offensive responses you seem to have missed the fact that in 1892 Rudolf Diesel proposed an engine that would burn coal dust. And, that engine was an early prototype of his now famous diesel engine. The first experimental engine was built in 1893 and used high-pressure air to blast the coal dust into the combustion chamber. While the prototype blew its cylinder head off, four years later Diesel produced a reasonably reliable engine. So, since you have some disagreement with my premises, maybe you could back up some of your opinions with some sources, like I do.

Sources:

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=9773

Best regards,

Jeffrey S, Brooks
mixer

Postby BMW Fan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:51 am

mixer wrote:And, in your fairly offensive responses you seem to have missed the fact that in 1892 Rudolf Diesel proposed an engine that would burn coal dust. And, that engine was an early prototype of his now famous diesel engine. The first experimental engine was built in 1893 and used high-pressure air to blast the coal dust into the combustion chamber. While the prototype blew its cylinder head off, four years later Diesel produced a reasonably reliable engine. So, since you have some disagreement with my premises, maybe you could back up some of your opinions with some sources, like I do.

Jhanananda,

I am sorry but can’t help you with opinions.
You are playing word games and I am not good at that.
How could I miss the fact that Rudolf tried to run on coal dust ?

I wrote :
These are no tales but facts. There is no engine running but there are plenty of patents

and the oldest ones are from Rudolf himself.

So why do you go on and lecture about Rudolf ?
If you need a copy of his patents or books in the Original language I might be able to help.

Till there is a working prototype all your stories and links are tales, nothing more.

BMW Fan

BMW Fan

Re: Running Diesel Engine With a Coal Slurry

Postby ecojetta2 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:11 pm

I am thinking about experimenting with coal dust blended with WVO and kerosene. Any suggestions are welcome. I have a large supply of coal dust and and a WVO TDI. Keep in mind I am calling this an experiment, and I realize it might toast the engine, but we also might just learn something with help from some of the gurus out there. I would like this to be a group experiment.

Here is the plan so far:

blend small amounts of coal dust with kerosene to make a very thin slurry

blend slurry with WVO (starting out very lean)

process WVO using a single tank + centrifuge (Sunwizard method)

Should be fun...don't try this at home
ecojetta2

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending