Generator charging battery bank- Mulitple chargers?

Its like a chat room. This is where your post gets moved if you get too far off topic.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Generator charging battery bank- Mulitple chargers?

Postby coachgeo » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:19 pm

Trying to Maximize my charging by maximizing the amps out closer to that of the generator's capabile of producing via multiple battery chargers Plugged up to it. Genset is 6000w

My Invertor only puts out 20 amps charging and it has no smart capabilities.. just 20amp at 13.8v. I have a second 15amp smart charger that has a setting for AGM. Initially had been hooking booth onto the same places the + - goes from the batteries to the invertor, but that was only two batteries. Now I have 16.

the Smart charger seemed to working normal eventually telling me the bank of 2 was fully charged in its LED read out. Reads the amps applied to the bank (stepping down as it goes, like normal). Least I think it reads normaly

Question is though Can I use muliple Smart chargers all plugged to the generator and hooked to the bank of batteries (16 linked together to make 12v w/lots of amp hours)?

If so what is the best place(s) to hook the chargers to the batteries?

Can I mix the amp sizes of the Chargers? I was shooting for a total of around 100amps.
Last edited by coachgeo on Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:55 pm

Yes you can use multiple chargers and mix the amp sizes. Hook to any of the + and - since they are all connected together with large cables.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:00 pm

Yessss... I was thinking that was the case but you know what they say about ASSUMING

coachgeo

Postby coachgeo » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:10 pm

Would think placing them in various places.... will help balance charge better too?

another question...

I have four plstic trunks I filled with four 75AH AGM batteries.

Should I:

Make each box a bank with each of its total + and - lines fed into one single line of + and -? Then each box's banked + and - leads tied toghether into one line each (+ and -) that feeds into invertor??

... or should I just parallel them all ++++...(16x) ----...(16x) and then hook inverter to leading battery + and trailing battery - ?

I've read about both... I guess I could do either. right now Im almost completely set up for +++++++ --------- method but I could change that. Its not finished wired up yet. Started attaching all the 2ga battery lines today. Still got to buy a few more.

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:25 pm

coachgeo wrote:Would think placing them in various places.... will help balance charge better too?
No better, since they are all connected together with large cables.
Should I:

Make each box a bank with each of its total + and - lines fed into one single line of + and -? Then each box's banked + and - leads tied toghether into one line each (+ and -) that feeds into invertor??

... or should I just parallel them all ++++...(16x) ----...(16x) and then hook inverter to leading battery + and trailing battery - ?

All parallel, puts an equal load on all wires is better if you use the same size wire everywhere. Keep the distances as short as possible due to large losses at 12v. What size inverter? 2ga wire may be too small depending on distance. My wires are 2/0 which measure about 3/4" for a 2400 watt inverter, 6' distance (max. distance for this size wire/inverter.)
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Off topic banter