controled loop?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

controled loop?

Postby gary » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:46 pm

I have a kit from fossil free fuel and am working on the installfor my 02 golf. Dave from fff is not for the controlled loop design as he said it offers know real benifit.This system is a tih supply and return along with heated filter and fphe... ?'s

if one is using cf filtered oil with 2m polishing, is your filter life still shortened by a full return.

The pick up in the fuel tank is a "closed"cylinder type with a few holes so theoreticly most of all the returned fuel is sucked back for supply so you should not be heating the tank so much but even with a cl the coolant is still flowing

Is the ip working the same in both cases?

since switch over time is based on coolant temp they both would be the same?

A third valve is potential for more problems?
gary

Re: controled loop?

Postby SunWizard » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:24 pm

gary wrote:I have a kit from fossil free fuel and am working on the installfor my 02 golf. Dave from fff is not for the controlled loop design as he said it offers know real benifit.This system is a tih supply and return along with heated filter and fphe... ?'s

if one is using cf filtered oil with 2m polishing, is your filter life still shortened by a full return.

Yes because all filters will clog eventually. And that clog comes sooner when you run 4x the amount of fuel through it, since the filter only needs to be 1/4 as much restricted.
The pick up in the fuel tank is a "closed"cylinder type with a few holes so theoreticly most of all the returned fuel is sucked back for supply so you should not be heating the tank so much but even with a cl the coolant is still flowing

You are heating the tank more since there is conducted heat from the 180F VO in the pickup and the rest of the tank. This heat isn't needed and can make the tank develop poly problems if its large or not emptied often enough.
Is the ip working the same in both cases?

Yes.
since switch over time is based on coolant temp they both would be the same?

Yes but with a looped return you will get hotter VO quicker. This is because the heat gained in the FPHE is less with 4x the flow. I notice the difference on my temp guage just before the IP when its below 20F outside.
A third valve is potential for more problems?

Yes but if it failed the worst problem is you would have return to tank all the time instead of looped.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

loop

Postby gary » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks for your reply. Doesnt the coolant still heat the fuel tank in a controlled loop.. And if your filter is clogging that means it getting more particulate out, right? I respect your knowledge and those at fff and trying to see why they do not prefer this method.
gary

Re: loop

Postby SunWizard » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:51 pm

gary wrote:Doesnt the coolant still heat the fuel tank in a controlled loop..
Yes but far less since its just a heated pickup.
And if your filter is clogging that means it getting more particulate out, right?
Yes.
SunWizard
Site Admin

loop

Postby gary » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:16 pm

Is it safe to say that running 4x the oil through the filter ,polishing the oil further for a vw ip which is touchy from what i gather is an advantage?
gary

Postby SunWizard » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:01 pm

Yes thats a slight advantage which doesn't outweigh the disadvantages I listed. A finer micron rating on the filter is a better way to get more protection for an IP.

If your filter is on the pressure side of the lift pump, a loop doesn't change the amount through the filter since you normally loop before the lift pump. The 4x the flow issue only applies if you have the filter on the suction side, outside the loop. If you have it plumbed with the filter under vacuum, then another advantage of the loop is less chances for air leaks which are probably the most common problem you read about on the forums.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion