1985 300d mysterious overheating problem

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

1985 300d mysterious overheating problem

Postby Performance Plus WVO » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:37 pm

I am working on a 300 D that overheats "according to its temp guage" when more than 1/2 throttle is applied for more than a couple of minutes. The vehicle has had a new water pump put in it as well as a thermostat, radiator and sending unit. The upper radiator hose reads normal effluent temps so it would point me to a faulty guage but my pre Ip temp is pushing 217+ on the vegetable oil system. When I replaced the impeller side of the water pump it looked as if though the housing or valute is an independantly replacable piece apart from the engine block. I am not one to shotgun parts at a vehicle and this has been rather irritating. If any one has experience or insight on a diagnosis procedure please feel free to enlighten me. Thanks in advance.
Performance Plus WVO

Postby SunWizard » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:23 am

Does the top radiator hose stay firm when squeezed when the engine is cold? And 1 minute after starting? If it does you have a cracked head or bad head gasket which can cause overheating.

Was it a new radiator or used?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby BMW Fan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:48 pm

Radiator ( filler ) cap leaking, not holding pressure or wrong cap

BMW Fan

http://www.crawldog.com/klausold/
BMW Fan

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion