I would be grateful for the advice of an engineer.

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

I would be grateful for the advice of an engineer.

Postby all_grown_up » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:10 pm

I had someone build me a cone bottomed 55 gallon drum with stand for settling before the centrifuge tank. I am going to mount it on a plywood stand with wheels. Normally my rolling platforms are not very scientifically constructed as I am not an engineer and my math is poor. However the notion of having a 55+ drum of WVO tip over is disconcerting. The center of gravity on this will be very high as the oil will reside between 3 ft and 6 ft off the ground.

I have pictures but apparently cannot upload them to the site.

Could someone provide a formula or advice for evaluating how wide the plywood base should be. I am thinking 4 ft square.

I would be happy to send pics.

thanks[/img]
all_grown_up

Postby SunWizard » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:16 pm

It mostly would depend on how level and rough your surface is, and what size wheels you use. No easy formula, a nicely smooth flat surface with good wheels wouldn't cause a sideways tipping force so smaller is OK.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby HoldOnTight » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:30 pm

Tipping could be caused by tilting the drum, or applying a side force too high up. If you pull it with a rope attached to the base, that would be best for moving.

Since the oil will be between 3 and 6 ft high (The center of gravity would be at (3+6)/2 = 4.5 ft. high. A square base of 4 feet would allow 2 ft to either side of the center of gravity. If the ground is rough, bumpy or otherwise hilly, you would be able to have the platform tilted from vertical as much as as INV TAN (2ft/4.5ft) = 26.6 Degrees before tip-over. Hope that helps. Have a look at a protractor and see if that is enough protection.

Since the drum is about 2 ft in diameter, you aren't talking about a lot of extension on either side of the drum, just a foot either way.

Make sure you get some heavy duty wheels for this load. Bigger is better if you will be going over bumpy terrain.

Good luck.
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Thanks

Postby all_grown_up » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:10 pm

all_grown_up

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering