Flocculation

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Flocculation

Postby leftcoastjeff » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:15 pm

I worked in a micro-brewery and have made lots of great beer at home.

I have first hand experiance with setteling,

For beer there are many ways to promote clearing (Flocculation)

From wiki.....

"Flocculation is a process where a solute comes out of solution in the form of floc or flakes. The action differs from precipitation in that the solute coming out of solution does so at a concentration generally below its solubility limit in the liquid. The term is also used in colloid chemistry to refer to the process by which fine particulates are caused to clump together into floc. The floc may then float to the top of the liquid, settle to the bottom of the liquid, or can be readily filtered from the liquid."

Heat and settle promotes Flocculation, yes?

I read that silicates may work to remove H2O

I read also baking soda to control PH (also Flocculation)

AND flower....dry....(Flocculation?)

55 gal HOT oil might not make the fireman too happy when they come for inspections, cold oatmeal, not so much?

Respectively

LCjeff
'87F-250 stock, minus that pesky water seporator/air inlet, bone stock for now.

Thomas Edison says it best, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work”.
leftcoastjeff

Postby zoochy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:05 am

Heat would likely accelerate flocculation but convection slows settling.

Flour and baking soda adsorb water. I can’t see how they would promote fine material clumping together. I tried adding both for a while but you end up with a dense brick at the bottom of the container that was a serious hassle to clean out.

I know in wine making clay is used to clarify. My understanding is that the clay is polarized and thereby attracts particles to it. The attracted particles then stick to the clay and accelerate setting due to the end particle being heavier than the originals. I imagine the same process would work in oil but settling clay isn’t cheap especially given that one can achieve the same result by simply giving the oil more time to settle. I let my oil sit for 6 months before I filter it and it comes out fairly clean.

1988 Dodge Ram in progress.
1997 Dodge Ram- 2 tank; Arctic Fox pickup; TIH; Plantdrive VM2 filter; Hydroforce valves
PREVIOUS 91 Toyota Hiace 3L engine >200,000 km on: 88% canola WVO; 11% old gasoline; 0.6% turpentine; 0.3% acetone; 0.1% eye of newt
zoochy

Postby HoldOnTight » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:22 am

LCJeff,
I think the action is different that flocculation;

*Heat and settle - relies upon different specific gravities of the contaminants to allow dropping to the bottom of the container.

*Baking soda and flower relies upon the addition of these additional contaminants to combine with water molecules and thereby precipitate (dropping to the bottom) as a result of being a heavier molecule than the UVO.

The difference is that once combined the resultant molecule is no longer magnetized and simply drops due to weight (difference in specific gravity - heavier than the oil molecules).

In beermaking, I believe the combined molecule is still magnetized on one end and so these are attracted to other similar molecules to form a flake, which is more easily filtered as a larger particle.

I am no expert, but I did sleep at a motel 8 last night! :) Actually, I had a few years of college chemistry.
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Postby HoldOnTight » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:10 pm

One more thing to add: Water is polarized as well and this is why water washing is effective at removing dirt. Being heavier than oil, it settles to the bottom of the container.

Varnish when polarized, in the presence of an electric field will also flocculate, and this is the basis for some varnish removal systems used on turbines in power plants...
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering