Following the Sun, neat fittings for Dodge conversion

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Following the Sun, neat fittings for Dodge conversion

Postby mortarsprayer » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:03 pm

Hello Listers,
I have found a few neat fittings while doing the conversion on my 95 Dodge.

The first is a double stack banjo bolt.
http://www.hydraulic-supply.com/html/pr ... ttings.htm
(second to the last group of pictures on link)
This bolt and a banjo to 3/8" hose barb fitting allowed me to Tee in the veggie line right at the IP without cutting the stock line that goes between the IP and the filter for diesel. It is the 14 x 1.5mm thread on my truck.

NOTE: The double stack banjo bolt was about 3 threads too long. To fix this I compared the depth of thread of the original and then shortened the double stack to match. DO NOT just try to tighten it up, do a careful hand fitting instead.

I am using 1 piece of clear veggie approved fuel line between the IP and the FPHE so I can peak behind the insulation and check for any bubbles.

Instead of cutting into the heating lines, I used Truck valves in and out of the block at the locations used for the in/out of the water for the transmission cooler. My truck is a manual tranny so these were an extra option.
Here is a link to show truck valves:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/catego ... uck-valves
On the top I used a 1/2" MPT to 5/8 hose nipple on the lower I used a 3/8 MPT to 5/8 Hose nipple.
The lower fitting that the truck valve threads into is a modified fitting from the automatic truck. It has an extra hose barb for the heat exchanger, Because I wanted a valve on that end I removed the stock barb and added a 3/8 FPT (half a coupler).

I will post pictures once it is complete to help others on the same path.

Best regards,
Nolan
Nolan
95 Dodge Cummins 3500 Flatbed, dump.
Started life as chassis cab, 2WD automatic pos, converted to 4WD with 5 speed that pulls like a freight train.
mortarsprayer

Postby tylerkck » Fri May 21, 2010 3:27 pm

What is the clear veggie approved fuel line and where can I get it? What makes it veggie approved? Thanks.
tylerkck

Postby grimey » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:58 am

hey did you end up gettin any pics?

also were you using the double banjo on the actuall IP?
grimey

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion