Mobile Centrifuging rig?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Mobile Centrifuging rig?

Postby stickman8513 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:31 am

Hi was wondering if some of yall got any ideas on how to set up a mobile centrifuging rig on a full sized schoolie. Seen a few posts as to people trying to but never realy followed through with any responses on thier success...or failures :cry: Realy I need to know how to hook up pump/motor, heating elemnt to the 12V DC system or if that is even possible....not sure on the specs but I'm pretty sure the alternator on this thing is HUGE....anyhow any friendly advice much welcomed and appreciated....also realy trying to do as much of this as possible without buying a centrifuge ''kit'' so any links as too good places to find pumps that go good with motors
Thnks
Last edited by stickman8513 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey I'm here arn't I?
stickman8513

Postby SunWizard » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:01 am

See the dieselcraft centrifuge thread. I run that same rig mobile with a little 2000watt honda generator or grid power when I am stopped where they have it (which is most of the time.) You could run it with an inverter or get a 12volt motor and use a FPHE for heat, but you would need to make sure you have a 200 amp alternator and keep the engine running at high rpms the entire time you run the CF. I don't like that option since its easier to run and check it and clean it while stopped at night.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:37 pm

for "moving" mobile set up the draw back is Sun and most are using an open system to allow water vapor to move on and not mix back into the cleaned oil. Open drum of oil in a "moving" Mobile situation is not good.

I was thinking simular rig to Suns system but add a closed 5? gal can the DCraft dumps into and let that drain into a closed main storage of cleaned dewatered oil.

Reason for the 5 gal can is cause it would be closed and have either a vacuum pulled on it or a fan blowing across the discharge from the DCraft to get the water vapor to exit the can and be distilled and drained off as you drive down the road.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:41 pm

No need for a 5 gallon can, all you need is a cross fitting directly below the CF outlet, with a small fan blowing air across it. Then you can have a sealed barrel.

Or you can dewater by CF action alone with a closed top barrel which I have done on the road.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:35 pm

SunWizard wrote:No need for a 5 gallon can, all you need is a cross fitting directly below the CF outlet, with a small fan blowing air across it. Then you can have a sealed barrel. ...
hmmmmm... but where does the water vapor go that the small fan blows away? Or do you mean there is tube (cross fitting as you called it) the vapor escapes from?

SunWizard wrote:Or you can dewater by CF action alone with a closed top barrel which I have done on the road.
How many times thru the CF did you find was needed to spin out water compared to spin it out AND..... hmmmmmm..... grrrrr. I forget the term we used for it.... ok.. lets try this again.

how many times do you find you need to (general speaking of course) use CF action alone to get out water compared to CF in open barrel so you got additional *water vaporization from the jet/heat combination.

*this is a discription of the damn term I forgot. Some have used this alone to get water out.

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:41 pm

coachgeo wrote:
SunWizard wrote:No need for a 5 gallon can, all you need is a cross fitting directly below the CF outlet, with a small fan blowing air across it. Then you can have a sealed barrel. ...
hmmmmm... but where does the water vapor go that the small fan blows away? Or do you mean there is tube (cross fitting as you called it) the vapor escapes from?

Yes a cross fitting is like a tee only open on both sides, you attach short pipes to it.
coachgeo wrote:how many times do you find you need to (general speaking of course) use CF action alone to get out water compared to CF in open barrel so you got additional *water vaporization from the jet/heat combination.

It varies hugely, depending on your VO. It takes 2x longer with CF action alone, with no evaporation. And it depends on how often you stop and catch the wet output of the CF.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:57 pm

SunWizard wrote:....
Yes a cross fitting is like a tee only open on both sides, you attach short pipes to it.....
got a drawing maybe?

I assume fan pushes air thru one side..... are you making something like a venturi? Air blowing thru thru portion of the "T" and the leg sticking off acts like a venturi and sucks the vapor into it?

am I using the right term Venturi? is this?

coachgeo

Fittings?

Postby stickman8513 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:10 pm

Can you attach fitting to maybe the bottom output on the centerfuge then ball valve it to allow flow from the filtering and sitching for the turn off dirty drop...maybe attch some sort of vent for steam there?
BTW thanks for the interst from experienced Vo kids well appreciated....
Hey I'm here arn't I?
stickman8513

Postby SunWizard » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:48 pm

coachgeo wrote:
SunWizard wrote:....
Yes a cross fitting is like a tee only open on both sides, you attach short pipes to it.....
got a drawing maybe?

I assume fan pushes air thru one side..... are you making something like a venturi? Air blowing thru thru portion of the "T" and the leg sticking off acts like a venturi and sucks the vapor into it?

am I using the right term Venturi? is this?

No venturi needed, its just a simple way to blow across the flow draining out of the CF. Here is a drawing from mcmaster:
http://www.mcmaster.com/addlcontent/cad.asp?PN=44605K165&view=2D&size=2
Last edited by SunWizard on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: Fittings?

Postby SunWizard » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:50 pm

stickman8513 wrote:Can you attach fitting to maybe the bottom output on the centerfuge then ball valve it to allow flow from the filtering and sitching for the turn off dirty drop...maybe attch some sort of vent for steam there?

Yes a cross fitting. Yes a ball valve can be used to divert the flow at shutdown but 1.25" 3 way ball valves are expensive at $87, the smallest you should use.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby stickman8513 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:04 am

Thanks again for the help guys....still wondering, looking at the drawing that you linked too that just looks like a simple four way fitting....maybe the sizing is off but still don't get how that relieves steam from the flash evap....also what size ball valve am I gonna need, don't have the centrifuge yet so can't eye ball, trying to figure out how much I'm throwing down for the filtration to see if I got enough for the 2 3way electric valves i'm gonna need to upgrade this system. And the flooring,kitchen, beds,cabinents,........ect ect....will be posting bus shots as the progress with the mobile centrifuge gets under way....if people want em a series showing the remodel can happen too....
Last edited by stickman8513 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey I'm here arn't I?
stickman8513

Re: Fittings?

Postby SunWizard » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:21 am

SunWizard wrote:1.25" 3 way ball valves are the smallest you should use.

Airflow across the CF outlet is what you need. If you can't figure out how to attach short pipes to a cross fitting and a fan blowing air across it, I can't help you, you will need someone to build it for you.
Last edited by SunWizard on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby stickman8513 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:38 am

Ooook :roll: but ya.....pipe either side fan maybe cpu cooling fan or well something. Downflow so no moisture wants to roll back on the tank...seems logical enough....but well sorry for the premature post I guess....not realy awake yet :oops:
Hey I'm here arn't I?
stickman8513

Postby stickman8513 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:52 am

Sunwizard said
I run that same rig mobile with a little 2000watt honda generator

So can i run 4500W Heating elements off a say 2000W genset or probably go smaller huh....like 1000W each tops? You think thats enough heating range so as not for WAY long downtime?

Again sorry if I'm comin off nieve but well no harm in askin .......... :roll:
Hey I'm here arn't I?
stickman8513

Postby SunWizard » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:32 pm

The 220v 4500w elements run at 110v are 1125w. I only use 1 when I run off the generator. Yes it heats up enough to start the CF in about an hour.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering