electric line and tank heaters

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

electric line and tank heaters

Postby flysurge » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:19 am

So I have found a manufacturer of 12 heat tapes meant to be wrapped around fuel lines and insulated. They are self regulating to about 130 degrees. I am having them make up a few for testing. The idea is to eliminate coolant running throughout the car. So know the ? of a tank heater. It is not my intention to heat a tank full of oil and fuel lines to 130 or 150 degrees, would like to heat just enough to keep oil fluid and do the real heating up in the engine compartment. I am using a mercedes 300d as a test subject, and will be running a 100 amp Alt. So the ?, how to heat the veg in the tank sump?? Is it possible to run a 24 v water heater element with a thermostat of about 90 degrees?? Any ideas?? could keep the element is a sectioned off area of the sump so it always stays submerged. Again, just looking to keep the veg fluidin cold weather.
flysurge

Postby 240Volvo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:16 am

Wouldn't a pad heater around the pick-up be simpler and safer?

I would be interested in testing. Please describe the line heated more in detail.
1984 Volvo 240 diesel with a single tank Elsbett conversion: electric fuel filter heater, FPHE, glow plugs, and injectors. Also injector line heaters and block heater, running 20%kero/80%WVO winter blend.
240Volvo

Postby flysurge » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:43 pm

Should have them this week.
The heat pad would work , but Ive only come across 120v ac ones.
flysurge

electric veg heat.

Postby christopher t » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:19 pm

If you are interested , check out MercedesSource.com. A major part of their conversions involve electric glow plug heaters to supply heat just as it comes out of the tank to help it flow and then before the injectors to boost the heat.
This is how i originally planned to convert my 300D, but i am still studying about what to do. Especially since i met SunWizard and have seen his conversion.
I would be really interested to hear other opinions about this.
-christopher
christopher t

Postby John Galt » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:03 pm

The amount of heat energy available from a 12v heater is insignificant as compared with coolant heating. Glow plug heaters polymerize and char the VO fuel and cause contamination.

What's wrong with insulated tube on hose to a heated pick-up in the tank?
John Galt

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion