TDS question for Sunwizard

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

TDS question for Sunwizard

Postby canolafunola » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:02 am

Have you run a TDS on filtered, ready for the tank wvo? What TDS readings do you consider "fuel quality"?

ps. I've been playing with doing all my TDS testing right in the syringe and a small plastic cap. Syringe is 12 ml. I draw in 5 ml oil then 5 ml distilled water, then 2 ml air (to ease agitation). Shake and let settle. The settled water is then pumped into the plastic cap where the TDS probe is placed. Since I am using so little oil and there's no pouring, everthing is clean and neat. I wash everything with soap and water then dry with paper towel for next time.

pps. If I measure 4 ml of pure distilled water TDS=0. If I add 1 grain of table salt, TDS= 50. Results very repeatable. Goes to show what a great tool the TDS meter is for detecting presense of salt in your wvo.
93 Gulfstream RV w Cummins 5.9 diesel pusher
canolafunola

Postby SunWizard » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:41 am

Yes its great, it detects much more than salts, it also detects acids, bases, and soaps. I go for TDS <10 which is easy to get with my centrifuge.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering