Newbie has questions: Bleeding veggie filter + air in fuel

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Newbie has questions: Bleeding veggie filter + air in fuel

Postby paradigmShift » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:50 pm

Hi,
The links below have are photo's of my 1983 Mercedes 240d with a diagram I did in photoshop highlighting areas in question:
http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp79 ... VEGED1.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp79 ... GE2VEG.jpg

"Exhibit A" I have the transperant fuel line as you can see. When I rev the motor air appears to approx. 2" down the line. :shock: Is that normal and what should I do to try to rectify it?

"Exhibit C" How do I bleed the air from this veggie filter? I don't see any obvious way. :?:

Somebody asked for the specifics of my veggie system. The heat plate is Kaori brazed plate heat exchanger 9

The gist of the system is a greascar.com system. 15 gallon rectangle aluminum welded tank. Copper coil fuel filter heater. 2 tank, one switch system.

Thanks to all!
1983 Mercedes 240D.
Bicycle.
Honda Moped. (not in use).
paradigmShift

Postby SunWizard » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:41 pm

No its not normal to have air in your lines. The way its supposed to work is the return line on top of the stock filter is the highest point in the system, and takes any air back to the tank each time you run on D2. It look like you have some other stuff so high and then the lines go back down it traps it.

I can't tell by your pics how you have it plumbed and would need a diagram to understand it. Are you having perfomance problems?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby djenkins6 » Thu May 14, 2009 5:53 am

I think that vegtherm on the fender is too far away from the injection pump to do any good. Just with distance the oil will cool down by the time it travels over to the engine. My Vegtherm is mounted across the injectors, then fuel line goes down to a quick disconnect T that I attach a vacuum pump to for priming, then a temperature sensor that controls when the vegtherm comes on. There are only a few inches of hose connecting each of these.
1981 300SD
1989 Dodge D250 Cummins
djenkins6

Return to Beginners section and FAQ