whole house water filters

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

whole house water filters

Postby david p » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:37 pm

Has anyone tried using whole house water filters to gravity filter wvo? What I have in mind is putting a 30 gallon barrel up in the air with a 100 micron filter on top. I would fill this up. Then, have the oil pass through a hole in the bottom of the barrel to pvc pipes that take it to a series of whole house water filters. I would use 20/10/5/1 micron filters.

I'm just wondering if the weight of the oil is enough to push it through 4 filters. I don't mind a fairly slow rate...I'm only using about 15 gallons a week. But, I just want to make sure I can at least get that. Anyone have any experience with this type of setup?
'02 VW Jetta with Elsbett 1 tank system (plan to run on WVO)
david p

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:57 pm

Has anyone tried using whole house water filters to gravity filter wvo?

Yes, but not with your scheme since it won't work very well because the filters will soon load up with crud.
Run the VO through an upflow separator first then through the filters and it will work just fine. Search for "upflow" to learn more.
Last edited by John Galt on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Galt

Postby buzzinhalfdoz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:30 pm

hear is what i do. let the cube set for i week, then pour off slowly the top 4 gal. i use two 5gal buckets stacked on top of each other. the top bucket has a funnel with a piece of window screen in it on top then a blue jean leg, in the bottom of the bucket is a hole with a pipe riseing 1" out of the bottom(lets stuf settle and have to rise to get out of the bucket) next into the bottom bucket with 2 micron filter bag(about 2.00$ea) then out a 1" rise pipe into a 2 micron water filter, then into a goldenrod fuel tank filter(15micron). my buckets are on a table with the last 2 filters on the side of the table, last filter into a 1" hose(with shutoff valve) into a 5 gal gas can.
ready to cut with rug and pour into the truck. by the way the oil in the clear bowl in the goldenrod is clear as new veg oil. it is slow, maby 1-2 hours to filter 4gal... :D
03 cummins 2500,4x4,some mpg mods,25%wvo,240,000 miles now,original IP,+50hp sticks,work truck
buzzinhalfdoz

Postby John Galt » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:22 pm

After filtering to 2µ isn't then filtering 15µ pointless? Shouldn't it be the other way around if you're going to use the 15µ filter?
John Galt

Water Filters

Postby harrisonm3 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:17 pm

The water filters are cleaner than the sock filters, and around the same price.

The housings are a little more but it's a one time cost.

You can find 75 micron filters for less then $2
Have an awesome day
Converted Dodge 2500 97 4x4,
3 valve looped return, Heated pickup, TIH, 31 FPHE.
http://veggiescout.blogspot.com/
harrisonm3

Postby buzzinhalfdoz » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:46 am

the water filters are upflow type so i think the heaver stuf (like water and goo) will stay in the bottom of the filter. also the last one in my system is the goldenrod, with a drain on the bottom (when i drain it i have never had any water or goo to come out).
03 cummins 2500,4x4,some mpg mods,25%wvo,240,000 miles now,original IP,+50hp sticks,work truck
buzzinhalfdoz

Postby SunWizard » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:34 am

Filters don't work to remove suspended water from VO, this is why you will never see any in the drain.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby hheynow » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:27 pm

After a 200u drum screen I pump through three "whole house" sediment filters (20u, 5u &1u) but only after it is heated to 120*F. This is for sediment removal only. I can't see this filter working with just gravity. How about using filter bags?
FOR SALE: 1997 Ford F-350 7.3L PSD - Plant Drive kit
1984 Mercedes Euro 300D NA - Custom two tank
Running on used plant oil and biodiesel since May 2006
hheynow

Postby John Galt » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:51 pm

I can't see this filter working with just gravity.
I assume that means it does not work for you, i.e. you 'can't see' it working. Others have made single cartridge filters work on the output of upflow barrels without problem. If you're off doing other things while it filters unattended, then who cares how slow it filters for the best upflow rate. That is the advantage with an upflow settling system.
John Galt

Postby david p » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:30 pm

my system worked with just gravity. i have a 55 gallon drum cut in half that's up in the air about 6 feet high. the oil exits from a hole in the bottom to pvc pipe that takes it to the bottom of another 55 gallon drum. so, that provides the force to push the oil through when it's full.

the only problem is that my first cartridge is getting all clogged up with crap. right now i have 4 filters in a row, 20, 10, 5, 1. i'm thinking about adding two more, 100 and then 50. plus, i might do a little more pre-filtering to see if i can get the first filter to stop getting clogged.
'02 VW Jetta with Elsbett 1 tank system (plan to run on WVO)
david p

Postby David » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:33 am

I don't understand the idea of having multiple staged filters?
A given amount of oil will have a given amount of crud and wether you remove that in stages or in one go, the amount of rubbish that has to be removed and will block filters is exactly the same. If you have 1 filter you may change it 4 times more often than if you have stepped filters but your still paying for 4 filters!

I settle all my oil in IBC's batch style and then pump this clear oil from the top of these into an IBC set up as an upflow tank. The total resident time the oil is settling is in excess of 6 months and I have just upped capacity to a point where I should be doing around 12 month turn around times.

I filter and dry at the same time with a 5Um filter bag and then a 1Um water filter that is on the output of the drum before it goes into the 25L storage drums.
I'm averaging in excess of 1500L on each filter. The current bag filter would have to have had more than 2000L through it. I am going to go to 1 Um bag filters when I order some more in the new year as I feel even if the smaller bag filters a bit slower, I'm better off getting a few less passes through the finer bag than more through the larger one. In reality, I cannot see anything in my oil when I pump it from the upflow tank so I think larger filters would be useless given the amount of oil I get through the ones I'm using now. When I change the bag filters, I tend to get more rubbish that came in the open top drying drum ( dog hair, grass clippings) than anything else that actually came in the oil ( barring Micro particles and sediment) and it's all big stuff that doesn't clog the bag that much anyway.
If you let your oil settle sufficiently, I can't see any reason you would need a whole bunch of filters.

In the scenario you are talking about using gravity filtration, I would just use the finest rated cartridge and parallel a pair ( or more) of them together for less resistance and more flow.

4 different filters or 1 filter 4 times more often, same thing to me. :)

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby WD8CDH » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:22 pm

[quote="David"]I don't understand the idea of having multiple staged filters?
A given amount of oil will have a given amount of crud and wether you remove that in stages or in one go, the amount of rubbish that has to be removed and will block filters is exactly the same. If you have 1 filter you may change it 4 times more often than if you have stepped filters but your still paying for 4 filters!
<snip>quote]

Very true, I use a single Racor 1000 2 micron element after my heated Upflow settling tank and I get about a year on each element. That's for 10,000 to 15,000 miles on a MB 300D and a year of heating my house on a single $15 filter element but I do heat the filter housing.
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'85 MB 300DT 2 Tank
Since '81 former WVO conversions:
'83 240D
'80 Audi 4000D
'83 Isuzu Pup
'86 Golf
'76 Honda Civic with Kubota engine
Prior to the cars, several generators
Kubota Tractor
WD8CDH