Timing a purge

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Timing a purge

Postby gary » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:04 pm

What is the best way to dye the vo for timming the purge? Is liquid red food coloring good or is it water? I was going to use the reinforced clear tubing they have at hd as my sight glass...(purge line) and can I just leave that in as the permenate line? For the return delay is it always half the time as the purge? Any one with an 02 golf...what is the average purge times? Thanks
gary
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:27 pm

Postby zoochy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:05 am

You will likely find it easier to dye the diesel than the veg oil.
That or fill your diesel fuel filter w/ type F automatic transmission fluid for the test. It's red and will give your injectors a good cleaning at the same time.
91 Toyota Hiace 3L engine w/ a 300W ½” heated fuel line, lift pump, additional 10um fuel filter, and a 2nd diesel tank for starting.
>160,000 km on:
88% canola WVO
11% old gasoline
.6% turpentine
.3% acetone
.1% eye of newt
zoochy
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:21 pm
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

#2 fuel oil for purge?

Postby gary » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:41 pm

My mechanic wants to leave the diesel alone??? Would #2 fuel oil mix well with the veg and make it red?
gary
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:27 pm

Postby biovindiesel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:38 pm

zoochy wrote:..fill your diesel fuel filter w/ type F automatic transmission fluid for the test. It's red and will give your injectors a good cleaning at the same time.


Has anyone else done this? I've heard of ATF being used as a fuel oil. I need to change my filters anyway and need to perform a purge-time test as well.

Is trans fluid cheap?
~Cv
biovindiesel
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Tallahassee

Re: #2 fuel oil for purge?

Postby coachgeo » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:23 pm

gary wrote:My mechanic wants to leave the diesel alone??? Would #2 fuel oil mix well with the veg and make it red?
thats what he was recomending basically. Put diesel in the WVO tank, add the red ATF to that. The lower the amount of WVO in the tank the easier it will to be able to see the red ATF I believe.

As to ATF cleaning injectors......... from what I have read it was once a good trick that was "known" to work... now it is debatable because the oil additives etc. in ATF are a whole new breed than when the mechanics of yesteryear use to use ATF as an injector cleaner. It won't hurt them and its possible that now those different additives may make it an even better cleaner than the past so who knows.
Life; It's all in the Balance

Moderator
coachgeo
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:46 am
Location: North Texas

Postby veggiesub » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:49 pm

The oil I use is typically burned dark brown.
veggiesub
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:26 pm

Re: #2 fuel oil for purge?

Postby zoochy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:17 am

coachgeo wrote:
gary wrote:As to ATF cleaning injectors......... from what I have read it was once a good trick that was "known" to work... now it is debatable because the oil additives etc. in ATF are a whole new breed than when the mechanics of yesteryear use to use ATF as an injector cleaner. It won't hurt them and its possible that now those different additives may make it an even better cleaner than the past so who knows.


I buy Type F, which I believe is the "old breed" of ATF.

I have read that ATF has changed from the good old days but regardless of the chemical makeup, it works. I put a couple ounces into my diesel tank (20L) every time I fill it up. I get no black smoke when I start up and my van runs great.

Sorry, don’t mean to change the subject. As coachgeo suggests, try a diesel/aft blend in your WVO to test your purge time. It will not hurt your system to try.
91 Toyota Hiace 3L engine w/ a 300W ½” heated fuel line, lift pump, additional 10um fuel filter, and a 2nd diesel tank for starting.
>160,000 km on:
88% canola WVO
11% old gasoline
.6% turpentine
.3% acetone
.1% eye of newt
zoochy
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:21 pm
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada


Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron