Cold CF'ing

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Cold CF'ing

Postby td2dv » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:52 pm

As the seasons change I'm getting more crisco in my sock filter set-up. I like cold filtering and am starting to wonder if any of you have run cold oil through your DieselCraft.
Did you get it up to speed by increasing pressure (velocity)?
Will drilling out the jets (increase mass flow) help increase speed?
John at DieselCraft said he'd not gotten any feel back on running unheated oil but suspected speed would be down.
Once again:
Do any of you have personal experience CF'ing cold oil?
Benz 240-D
Minneapolis
WVO/RUG (10%) 5 mo/yr
td2dv

Postby SunWizard » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:37 pm

Yes I have tried mine cold and it doesn't spin very well. No you can't increase the pressure above 90 without damage. And it fills up very quickly if you have crisco in the VO and its cold. I cold settle in a 55g barrel, after filtering and dewatering in the CF.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby td2dv » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:51 pm

I get the picture. thanks.
Has anyone found an inexpensive way to vary the speed of an Acme CG? Mine is drilled and pretty smooth just before full speed. If I drill deeper it fills up sooner. I'd rather spin a little slower and a little longer.
Benz 240-D
Minneapolis
WVO/RUG (10%) 5 mo/yr
td2dv

Postby 123eddie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:25 am

A friend is developing a centrifuge that he is about to market. We have be testing it at my house with different flow rates and temperatures. My wife's car is a single tank Elsbett Mercedes so fats are a worry for me. When we run the wvo cold at a rate of 2 gallons per hour it pulls a lot of fat out.
123eddie

Postby dragonfly » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:58 pm

I have used the SimpleCentrifuge for over two yr. Recently, I CF'd cold oil for a member of the Greater San Diego Greasers club. His oil is settled for a few weeks then run through 10 micron cartridge before I got his three cubes of oil. I normally CF a 40 gal batch of my oil at 150+F, but this time I ran his oil at room temp of approx. 65F, and at .5 gl/min. Upon cleaning the CF bowl, there was about a cup of yellow fat. I will be processing my next 40 gals cold, then evaluate the contents. Next run the same batch at 150F+ temp and flow rate of .5 gal/min and evaluate the CF bowl contents.
dragonfly

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering