run cold Vo in a circut?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

run cold Vo in a circut?

Postby stickman8513 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:59 pm

so i know through the posts here that running Vo through the Dieslecraft <yes> BUT....do you run the VO though the heating elemet through the pump for a few or do you just prime lines then heat then run to re-prime lines and repeat? basicly do you run cold SVO through the pump heating element circulating oil till the SVO is thin enough 4 the.....thanks this is realy difficult to word for me to word...sorry
Hey I'm here arn't I?
stickman8513

Postby SunWizard » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:48 am

I circulate through the heaters until the VO is 100F at the CF inlet. In the summer this is within minutes of startup.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby HoldOnTight » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:58 pm

I do as Sunwizard does, but there is no reason you couldn't start running with cold oil through the CF as long as the pressure is held within CF operating tolerances, either using a bypass valve or a pressure regulator. I've done it both ways, depending on whether or not I wanted to babysit the oil as it warmed up. In the beginning, I didn't have the electrical supply to run the 2 heaters and a pump.

If I've got 2 heating elements running simultaneously at the start, as I do now, I'll let them heat the oil in the heater pipe for a min before turning on the pump. By then, the oil is starting at about 100+ F at the CF start and with 2 heaters and a pump pushing at 1 gal/min, the oil only gets hotter and hotter at a fairly fast rate.

If your pressure regulator immediately follows the pump, you won't heat oil that gets bypassed by the pressure regulator, so your CF oil would heat up even more quickly at the gitgo.
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Postby stickman8513 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:15 pm

so as for a thermostat on the heating elements should i install one....or is a constant ON normal....i'm sure its written somewhere but well any help would help
Hey I'm here arn't I?
stickman8513

Postby SunWizard » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:58 pm

Yes its always safer to have a thermostat.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering