Gear pump pressure ?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby powerstroke73L » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:05 pm

I have the same pump newtoveggie is using paired with my Dieselcraft 0C-20. I used to let my oil get up above 180 degrees which I believe damaged the seals as the pump now seeps oil under pressure. As a stopgap the pump now sits inside a large turkey pan, but I'm thinking of replacing it with this hydraulic pump (second from the top-part # 6296K52):

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/114/986
powerstroke73L

Postby newtoveggie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:48 am

Getting Closer.

John from dieselcraft was good enough to send me out a new rotor and base thinking this may cure my problem. Not so.
The gear pump I use has steel spurs. The oil I ran through a few weeks back was loaded with water and I think this may have damaged the gear pump ( it actually says don't use water in the instructions - duh). Would damage from water lead to lower volumes of oil flow? Symptoms: When I close off enough valves the pressure will climb over 100 PSI but when I run the CF (bypass closed) the pressure won't get above 70 PSI. Before this watery batch I would close the bypass halfway and achieve 90 PSI easy.
Are your gears steel?
newtoveggie

Postby SunWizard » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:46 am

Yes my gears are steel. Yes if you ran 100% water through it you can damage it. A water/VO blend would probably not damage it since VO has such good lubricity. The main problem is your pump is too small.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby powerstroke73L » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:37 pm

SunWizard wrote:Yes my gears are steel. Yes if you ran 100% water through it you can damage it. A water/VO blend would probably not damage it since VO has such good lubricity. The main problem is your pump is too small.

Actually it's too big. I have the same pump and produces somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.1 GPM at 90 psi (its rated at 1.3 GPM/80 psi and 1 GPM 100 psi), so there is always a fair amount of bypass. That's why I have been looking into the hydraulic pump above. It displaces .129 cu inches per revolution which, when attached to a 1725 RPM motor would yield 222.5 cubic inches per minute. 222.5 cubic inches = .96 gallons per minute. I'll keep everyone posted.
powerstroke73L

Postby newtoveggie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:48 pm

Final Update:

The watery batch put grooves in the CF shaft throwing it out of tolerance and ruining the steel spurs on the gear pump. I returned the pump to grainger and upgraded to a bronze pump so this won't happen in the future. Although in the future you know I will be able to spot a watery batch. This put me out of commission for three weeks so I am just now catching up on the backlog of dirty oil in my garage. Thank You to all who contributed to my dilemma.
newtoveggie

Previous

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering