Webasto diesel coolant heater as a base board heater???

Space Heating with SVO WVO Vegetable Oil Biofuel.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Webasto diesel coolant heater as a base board heater???

Postby coachgeo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:42 pm

came across what may be a good price on a webasto coolant heater (diesel). 23,000/kw 80,000/btu.

wondering if I can use this to heat coolant and pump it thru base board heaters.

Would use this as heat in my log cabin (12x16 in size, 4" logs, thermal windows).

problem may be... according to one spec. I saw for a newer slightly larger model was 0.4/gal per hour diesel use.

I know so far not many have found much success running these on WVO. Have not found much info about running them on blends yet though. Have not read bout how they do on bio-d either

Also don't know if I could create a thermostate control for it. such as when room hits temp can I use a thermostat to shut down the 24v to the unit and have it kick it back on again when temps drop below the set temp.

by the way.... my temporary heat solution I bought a month ago.... is.... you guessed it.

LOST IN THE MAIL!!!! with no tracking number and no insurance.... :evil:

Thus I got NO HEAT in the cabin. so In part thats why Im sleeping in my office.... in hopes the damn post office finds the thing.
Last edited by coachgeo on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby coachgeo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:23 am

Talked to Webasto.

He said the specs on this on is 0.8gal/hr OUCHHH

but... they make thermostates for them that run off radiator coolant temp and felt this could be used to shut her down when the coolant temps are up to snuff for my application. Sounds like the same switches they use to shut off aux. 12/24v radiator fans.

They do make different size nozzles.

This is sounding interesting.

will keep ya'll updated.

coachgeo

Postby coachgeo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:24 am

talked to another Webastco tech. The unit I am looking at is an 80,000 btu.... YIKES.... double the size I had first understood it to be...but then again there are losses in transfer from fire to coolant to surroundings.

On the unit Im looking it is designed with a replacable bolt on thermostate set for 172 coolant degrees. Non adjustable.

Learned that this thermostate... when coolant temps reach temp.... it shuts power to the fuel pump. Remaining fuel is burned off. Coolant pump, igniter and fan (air feed for the burner) stay on.

If I get this.... think I would time how long it would take to burn off fuel after fuel pump shuts off...

Then.... with some help from Guru's in places like here... design a thermostate to replace the OEM..... that is adjustable..... and includes a timer?? or something to allow the fuel to burn off then shut down the fuel pump, igniter and fan too.

coachgeo

Return to Vegetable Oil Space Heating