Water absorbing crystals

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby denson » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:13 pm

there are also water absorbing crystals that can be dried out and reused. Theese help to identify how much water is in a new batch of VO
denson

Postby denson » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:08 pm

they are for sale on DSE's website (don't laugh)
denson

Postby denson » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:47 pm

John Galt wrote:What's your experience with these water indicating crystals?
I wouldn't believe ANYTHING posted on the DSE website unless someone personally recommended they'd used it with success.
I have not tried them yet but I do plan on buying a bag and seeing how they work. I'll let you know when I have some conclusions
denson

Postby denson » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:54 am

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:47 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Galt wrote:
What's your experience with these water indicating crystals?
I wouldn't believe ANYTHING posted on the DSE website unless someone personally recommended they'd used it with success.
I have not tried them yet but I do plan on buying a bag and seeing how they work. I'll let you know when I have some conclusions
I have done more research on these crystals and found that they are the same thing that is in baby diapers. They absorb water but not oil. You can now use diapers in your filtering process.
denson

Postby John Galt » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:15 pm

I've been testing Quik 'n' Dri and find that it integrates with VO fuel processing quite successfully.
http://biodiesel.coorga.com/quik.html

The cold upflow processor produces clear dry VO. The upflow is run at temperatures below 10°C 50°F to separate the PHO, fats and the water associated with them. The clear dry oil is mixed with kerosene\D1+jetB then filtered, settled and filtered into the vehicle tank. The VO from the upflow settling can be HPT moisture tested to check for dryness. The solvents make filtering and mixing the fuel blend much easier in the cold temperatures. The only disadvantage is that HPTs aren't valid with the solvents in the mix.

I wondered if the barrels of VO fuel mix might absorb moisture from the air, so I experimented with some Quik&Dry. It seemed like a good idea to add some Q&D to the processing as a trace moisture absorber and an indirect indicator of the moisture content in the fuel. I'm using an inverted 5gal water cooler bottle with a hole cut in the bottom to support a reusable 'canvas' shopping bag for an intermediate filter\funnel into the last settling barrel. The water cooler jug neck fits into the bung on the 30 gal poly barrel.

As it happens a Universal Water Filter cartridge fits snugly into the neck of the jug.
The cartridge is easily disassembled, and the bag containing the water treatment particles removed to provide space for about 75ml of Q&D with headroom for expansion with the cap replaced.

This Q&D column is good assurance of dry fuel and as an indicator of moisture trapped.
Last edited by John Galt on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Galt

quick n dri

Postby david p » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:03 am

john, the link you have for a universal water filter no longer works. can you describe what kind of filter you used? or provide another link? i purchased some quick n dri and i'm trying to figure out the best way to use it.
'02 VW Jetta with Elsbett 1 tank system (plan to run on WVO)
david p

Postby John Galt » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:31 am

Universal Water Filter Cartridges are available from a variety of sources
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0196657

Just use Google to find a local source.
John Galt

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering