Old Oil Furnace like 50's and Veggy Oil Residue afterwards

Space Heating with SVO WVO Vegetable Oil Biofuel.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Old Oil Furnace like 50's and Veggy Oil Residue afterwards

Postby comet424 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:21 pm

hi i have couple of these like the 50s oil furnaces where it ttakes a drip method but it pools it from the bottom of the furnance

i was reading that using pure WVO doesnt leave any ash's burns clean off but i having problem

what i did is i just mix a bit of WVO with furrance fuel to get it going then i pour a bunch in the bottom of the tank and burns for hours but it then finnaly burns off and i left with black tar kinda but when hot still looks like black motor oil i like to know why its left why it didnt burn up or was oil not hot enough and i need to make a drip system or do i need to make it a biodiesl and cant burn it straight
comet424

Postby SunWizard » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:12 pm

The black tar is thermal polymerization. If you burn it hotter you will get much less of it, and a drip is much cleaner burning than a pool.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby comet424 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:23 pm

ok wghat is polymerization? and if i burn it hotter then how do i get it so there is no do tar at all i wanna be able to pool it or what not like with furnance fuel there is no tar, so would i have to make like biodesel?

and this tar is it resuable or what can be done
comet424

Postby SunWizard » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:30 pm

Poly = plastic or tar that is trash, scrape it out.
Biodiesel will make it too.
Get VO hot enough (>700F) and there will be no pool and no poly, it becomes vapor and burns very clean. I am working on a setup like that for in my woodstove using several 6" loops of brake line that sits in the flame with the VO flowing through it. Or drip it onto a >700F piece of metal and it will vaporize and burn clean.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby comet424 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:01 am

how far are u accompishing this? why does biodesel do this too figured it was soo good, how do u get it 700 degrees or hotter? i read on here u want like 200degrees for the line why is 700plus the degree it vaporurizes

and the ppl that convert an oil furnance to burn veggy oil they only heat the sprayer type to like 100 degrees or something why is there no mess for them?

and does using motor oil at 700 degrees also not leave a mess
comet424

Postby comet424 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:45 pm

also can i re burn that black tar? what i doing right now is i poured 2 soup cans of furnance fuel in the furnance and lite it so i hoping it burns off the black tar as i having problems pulling it out and since itsnot easy to get at its hard

also when its smoking black does that mean its not hot enough? i took a thermomiter reading and its increased 100 degrees im up to like 240 degrees on the side of the furnance but black smoke how can i make it hotter or what not its only ment to be pooled slowly i just wanna get rid of this black tar and what is best used to make a furnance so i dont ruin this one i got anymore
comet424

Postby SunWizard » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:55 pm

comet424 wrote:how far are u accompishing this? why does biodesel do this too figured it was soo good, how do u get it 700 degrees or hotter?

I currently drip it onto a piece of burning wood and that makes it burn clean. I am working on the loops of pipe so I don't need any wood except at startup.
and the ppl that convert an oil furnance to burn veggy oil they only heat the sprayer type to like 100 degrees or something why is there no mess for them?

They vaporize it by using an air compressor to blow through a tiny hole.
and does using motor oil at 700 degrees also not leave a mess

Motor oil needs to be even hotter, around 1000F to burn clean.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby comet424 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:30 pm

oh the compressed air version i seen u make it urself but i ment also i seen where u just put heaters on ur current oil furnance and it will burn veggy oil no need for a compressor

the compressor is only there for to atomize it take it?

and will the brake line not melt in direct of the fire? so how do u get the motor oil hot enough for drip version?
comet424

Postby SunWizard » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:33 pm

comet424 wrote:the compressor is only there for to atomize it take it?

No its a required part of the system.
and will the brake line not melt in direct of the fire? so how do u get the motor oil hot enough for drip version?

Brake line doesn't melt, I have used it for 2 winters.

I never burn motor oil since its loaded with carcinogens, and is much harder to burn cleanly than VO. And I have a huge supply of 1000s of gallons of VO, its really easy to get the PHO that no one else wants.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby comet424 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:34 pm

ah ok whats the compressor for then

and what does PHO stand for? and whats bad about carcinogens? i read alot but i forget alot and crap

where do u get ur huge suppy of veggy oil from?
comet424

Postby SunWizard » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:42 pm

comet424 wrote:ah ok whats the compressor for then

There are many different systems, too complex to explain all of them and the details of how each works here, beyond what I said above: "They vaporize it by using an air compressor to blow through a tiny hole. "
and what does PHO stand for?

Read the Beginners section and FAQ, and
New? Read this post
and whats bad about carcinogens? i read alot but i forget alot and crap

Causes cancer.
where do u get ur huge suppy of veggy oil from?

Restaurants and lots of other VO users and bio makers who don't want it because its PHO.
Last edited by SunWizard on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby comet424 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:25 pm

ah ill i have to look into more too about vaporizing i wanted to do that that kinda of system in a wood stove so it would heat it up i dunno so many types how far are u along with the coils of brake line/ is there a certain size u use or doesnt matter?

what does the PHO stand for? il have to ask my near by restaurants for there oil but then again a grease truck shows up every so often so who knows right

and the caricagens are u breathing it in even with the door closed? as i wanted to heat my home dripping oil or whatever i can to heat my home constantly 24/7 i read on one of the forums they guy ran for 5 days straight non stop thats what i wanna do
comet424

Postby SunWizard » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:00 am

comet424 wrote:how far are u along with the coils of brake line/ is there a certain size u use or doesnt matter?
I already use a brake line but its not coiled, and only extends about 6" inside the firebox, so it only vaporizes when I burn a hot fire.
Size doesn't matter.
what does the PHO stand for?

Partially hydrogenated oil.
and the caricagens are u breathing it in even with the door closed?

Mostly when you go outside. But houses are not airtight so you get some. Your neighbors may breathe it more than you.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby comet424 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:53 pm

how do u know when ur burning a hot fire compared to a regular fire?

and pho is good then right?

i dont care how i burn as i live in the country id burn black motor oil at night so no one can see my smoke lol

but when u burn motor oil or pho i wanna make sure there is no sludge just up to ashes as the wood stove i wana use has holes in bottom and a ash tray to pull out to dump ashes or do i need a different wood stove?
comet424

Postby SunWizard » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:27 pm

comet424 wrote:how do u know when ur burning a hot fire compared to a regular fire?

Size of flames, feel the heat.
and pho is good then right?

Yes.
but when u burn motor oil or pho i wanna make sure there is no sludge just up to ashes as the wood stove i wana use has holes in bottom and a ash tray to pull out to dump ashes or do i need a different wood stove?

Any stove will work if you drip onto a burning log.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vegetable Oil Space Heating