hf pump not working

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

hf pump not working

Postby kirkharrod » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:21 pm

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong? I have seen this pump being used to pump out of dumpsters.

HF clear water pump 1" $33.99 from harbor freight- successfully wired

I have on the inlet side: 1" pipe nipple, 1" pipe and tee with heater element inside, 1" pipe nipple, 1 1/2" X 1" reducer, 1 1/2" suction hose (20 ft)

On the outlet side: 1' pipe nipple, 1 1/2" X 1" reducer, 1 1/2" check valve, 1 1/2" X 1" reducer, hose barb, 1" poly hose braided

Filled the pump with oil through the fill spot. It makes noise but will not pump oil from my 270 gallon tote. I have tried removing the check valve, with the same results.

Thanks!
2002 Ford F-250 7.3 L
kirkharrod

Postby Burbarian » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:32 pm

Fill the inlet pipe with oil. This type of pump is not self priming and even when you put oil in the filler fitting will not generally be able to suck oil vertically. Specially cold oil. The small amount of oil you put in the filler fitting will allow it to start up safely, but once that oil has gone to the outlet, the pump is trying to suck air instead of oil, and doesn't have that kind of 'bite'. It is a turbine pump, not a displacement type. If the inlet is preprimed with oil, it will work. Note that once moving oil, this thing has pretty good suction capability and will flatten non-rigid and semi-rigid non-suction rated hose connected to the inlet.

I have the suction hose connected to a pipe as a pickup wand, with a check valve at the working end of the pipe. The other end of the hose connects to the pump inlet with a tee. The breech port of the tee is vertical > nipple > reducer (enlarge) 1 1/2 to 2 1/2, 2 1/2 x 2ft vertical pipe, cleanout plug. Call this a priming cylinder.

Open the cleanout plug and prime with a quart or 2 of liquid oil. Close the plug, make sure the pickup wand is in the dumpster, fire it up. As the pump starts up it will have liquid instead of air to drive. Oil flows from the priming cylinder into the pump, air in the inlet hose goes into the priming cylinder. The suction hose and wand goes into vacuum and draws oil out of the barrel/dumpster even if it is 20ft downslope. You can size the priming cylinder to the length and diameter of your suction hose. This allows you long hose runs without ever losing prime.
1987 GMC Suburban 6.2L V8 IDI
1985 Merc 300TD
1968 CAT D4D 3304 dozer
1971 Waldon 4100 loader
1981 IHI 30F excavator
1995 Changfa 195 w/ ST 10kw genset
Burbarian

Vacuum works best

Postby harrisonm3 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:07 pm

You can get a vacuum setup for less than the Harbor Freight Pump.

Here is the basic setup http://veggiescout.blogspot.com/2008/12/oil-collection-w-parts-list.html
Have an awesome day
Converted Dodge 2500 97 4x4,
3 valve looped return, Heated pickup, TIH, 31 FPHE.
http://veggiescout.blogspot.com/
harrisonm3

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering