Our Panamerican trip '09/ 1993 wvo Cummins

Its like a chat room. This is where your post gets moved if you get too far off topic.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Our Panamerican trip '09/ 1993 wvo Cummins

Postby colonelsanders » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:07 am

Hi all, my girlfriend and i are about to depart for an exciting trip/extended stay/experiment south. We will be leaving from Evergreen, CO and heading south to Arizona then southern California, then down the baja, over to main land Mexico and eventually over to Belize and Guatemala. Our hope is to ship the vehicle over the darien and make it all the way to Argentina...we'll see,

I have a 1993 4x4 dodge cummins (180k) converted w/ sunwizards system(with the exception of a hot fox and larger tank). A 30 gallon one barrel dc oc-20 running on 3/4hp motor driving a 90's psp off a mitsu. montero(also modeled after sunwizard) is in the bed up by the cab, in front of our in bed viking pop up. I also have high volume diaphragm style manual collection pump w/ a filter suction head(1.25" tubing) We will be using our blog for posts pics and updates as well as this forum. I know its been done before, we printed and read the entire infopop thread posted a few years ago, about the guy and his girlfriend in the vw dasher. we learned alot from that thread and hope this journey will be as exciting but not as seemingly frustrating. i finished the conversion on the truck back in august so as to give myself sometime to become familiar w/ and work out some of the kinks i was sure to have and have had. Its running well and im anxious to get going and see how it does on the long haul. We've taken it on a few long trips up to telluride and Colorado spings and I've leared some important facts and symptoms to watch for...but im still very fresh in wvo scene and need input.

im hoping the centrifuge will play a big part in the ease of filtering/dewatering and alleviate the filter plugging and engine probs. the dasher people had. also the cummins is a much stronger vehicle. we leave for Arizona on Friday dec. 12th and then to California for a month. we will be crossing the border into the baja sometime after the first of the year. i would love it if this thread be used as a bounce off for all you old timers of wvo and problems and difficulty's im sure to encounter, our blog is attached to my signature so check it out and thanks for all the support and feedback i hope to receive and will surely need.
"be the change you want to see in this world"
93' Dodge W250 CTD 4x4 Auto 170+ 2 tank WVO
One ton single wheel rear end
Piston lift pump retro fit

http://panamericantrip.blogspot.com
colonelsanders

Postby coachgeo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:36 am

Good luck. Look forward to following along on the adventure; reading it in here.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:01 pm

That sounds like a fun adventure. Good luck.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

denver to tucson

Postby colonelsanders » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:14 pm

The departure from Colorado was an emotional one. My time in evergreen and golden was life changing. Its amazing to think of my arrival there and how different i was. Time brings constant change. i had a lot of time the last couple of weeks before we left to mentally and physically prepare as i was only working part time at the sign shop. This was ok because it gave me time to sort out all the little last minute details of packing, and was able to get the centrifuge working.

We are having a wonderful time here in Arizona with kindras family.The landscape is so new to me, i've never seen the desert, peoples front "yards" have no grass and all cacti w/ Santa's?!! the view of Mt. Lemmon is amazing! I went out for a run the second night we were here and saw the most beautiful sunset, truly magnificent. The actual drive here was good the truck ran great on diesel and it was pretty uneventful. Im a little sad to say that we were unable to do much of the journey to Arizona on veg. i've been having issues with the fuel pressure for a few weeks now and after tireless attempts to figure it out (see my thread titled "sunwizards system on my 93 dodge Please help" in the 2 tank section), the time came to go and so we did. i've been doing some fiddling w/ tightening possible air leaks, cleaned out veg tank and such to little avail. Everything happens for a reason though and things are just as they should be, kindra and i are safe and happy. We leave for cali on sat, and will only be there a few days, then fly to PA for Christmas then back to cali for a few weeks then down the baja.
peace,
john

colonelsanders

Postby colonelsanders » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:22 am

hey all, so we're off to Mexicali on monday. We scored 60 gallons of good vo, here in tuscon and we are really excited to be on our way. I have a question about running running diesel through my CF to clean up the diesel, has anyone ever heard of doing this? I have heard that diesel, and gas down there can be significantly dirtier than here in the US. They make a version called centrifugado diesel that is supposed to be the best, but who knows. anyway still busy getting last minute details together for our departure. check back for lots more updates.

colonelsanders

Return to Off topic banter