Where The Military Goes, The Private Sector Follows

Politics of WVO, legal aspects, emissions

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Where The Military Goes, The Private Sector Follows

Postby mixelpix » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:03 am

The following post has two really good links.
The words are not mine.
I feel appropriate disseminating them in good faith.
The links and boldface are as originally posted.
Italic formatting, my own -peace, pdk.
Last edited by mixelpix on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
mixelpix

Postby mixelpix » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:03 am

"The military runs many diesel engines on JP-8 with no additives. However, some vehicles require modification to the injection system to prevent loss of power, some perform better with JP-8, and some have piston and injection pump failures.

A great deal of testing by the US Military and NATO has occured with good and bad news. The good is JP-8 works well enough that both decided to move to a single battlefield fuel in 1988 with a target date of 2010 for completion. The bad is there are some reported problems and damage to engines and injection pumps. So I think reading up is a good idea if you have access to free JP-8 and think it is a good idea.

If you go to the Defense Techincal Information Center - DTIC- web site you can find 20 years of technical reports, studies and tests on vehicles, equipment etc. Some of the tests (this is the Army way) involve taking an entire installation and running all the diesel vehicles on JP-8 for several years and measuring the results. I think one study used almost 5mil gallons of JP-8 in thousands of vehicles over three years.

http://www.dtic.mil/
I would reccomend you read: "JP-8 and JP-5 as Compression Ignition Engine Fuel"

and "A SINGLE FUEL FOR THE BATTLEFIELD" just paste the text in the searchbox.

This is from the second one which is very short:

"The density or viscosity of fuel greatly influences the fuel injection process. A fuel injector supplies a precisely metered amount of fuel at very high pressure to the engine. JP-8 has a lower viscosity than diesel, which altered the fuel injection process. As a result, JP-8 is supplied at higher pressures than diesel fuel, which caused high-pressure leaks in fuel injectors. Also, the change in lubricity impacted the performance of rotary fuel-lubricated fuel injection pumps. There is also a slight decrease in equipment durability due to JP-8’s lower viscosity. This made installation of injector pump modification kits necessary. The US Army has also established new equipment procurement requirements to prevent similar problems in the future."

JMHO, but if I had free JP-8 I would add the gallon of B-100 and go for it. I have heard of folks getting free "contaminated" JP-8, which would raise other concerns about water content, etc.

Important point though, JP-8 is not the same as Jet-A1. JP-8 has additives, icing inhibitor, corrosion inhibitors, lubricants, and antistatic agents, not in Jet-A1. Check this for a better explanation than I can give. http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/pwd/Papers/JET-A1_vs_JP8.pdf"
mixelpix

Return to Politics of WVO