First problems with Dieselcraft 0C-20-Rotor speed issues

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

First problems with Dieselcraft 0C-20-Rotor speed issues

Postby powerstroke73L » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:05 am

I've passed nearly 1000 gallons of oil through my 0C-20 without a problem and then last night it began to act up. I got the oil up to 140 degrees and turned up the pressure via the ball valve to 90 psi as normal. First I noticed that the volume of oil dropping out of the centrifuge was smaller than usual. After running at 90 psi for about a minute it was clear that the rotor was not spinning anywhere close to full speed. There was also a pronounced hissing sound, which I think was the water vapor escaping so that may be normal-I just don't normally hear it because of the loud hum of the centrifuge once its up to 8000 RPM. Anyway, the oil was definitely being dewatered as the water vapor was puffing out as usual so I left it set at 90 psi and took a sample a few hours later for hot pan testing. The oil looked clean and clear as I pre-filter pretty extensively and never get more than 1/16" buildup on the inside of the rotor, and passed the hot pan test with no problem. I then pumped it through a 15 micron Goldenrod water block filter into my truck tank as I always do. I figure at worst this may shorten the life of the Donaldson filter on the truck a bit, but I'm concerned about the centrifuge.

It has clogged before so after pumping that batch into the truck I took the rotor off and found no visible buildup in the jets, etc...but I sprayed everything thoroughly with brake cleaner anyway and verified with a flashlight that both jets were clear. I then reassembled it and attempted to run more oil through it as before-same result. The only thing I can think of is that there could be buildup somewhere in the ports in the base where the inlet/pressure gauge/ball valve threads in. Anyone have this problem before? I didn't really have time to mess with it anymore last night so I gave up and figured I'd ask around.
powerstroke73L

Postby SunWizard » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:42 am

It sounds like a clog in the center shaft. You can run it without the rotor, with the cover, and see if you get a normal flow rate. You can also remove the check valve in the base and make sure its not stuck with big particles.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby powerstroke73L » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:00 am

SunWizard wrote:It sounds like a clog in the center shaft. You can run it without the rotor, with the cover, and see if you get a normal flow rate. You can also remove the check valve in the base and make sure its not stuck with big particles.

Thanks! Will do-I had no idea there was a check valve in there so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the culprit. I'll check the center shaft as well.
powerstroke73L

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering