On board filtration system

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby coachgeo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:41 pm

WD8CDH wrote:The moving vehicle will cause minimal sloshing. The CF will generate 500 to several thousand G's while acceleration, braking and cornering is under 1 G, a fraction of a percent. 1" bearings should easily handle ....
Sounds good to me so far then, not that matters even a Penney.

So it's down to space and cost comparision. Also factored into that is how low of a PPM is needed. What is the PPM standard accepted for Diesel and Bio-D? I forget.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby WD8CDH » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:11 pm

Less than 500ppm is generally accepted but I go fo less than 1/2 of that to allow for some condensation getting into the fuel later.
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'85 MB 300DT 2 Tank
Since '81 former WVO conversions:
'83 240D
'80 Audi 4000D
'83 Isuzu Pup
'86 Golf
'76 Honda Civic with Kubota engine
Prior to the cars, several generators
Kubota Tractor
WD8CDH

Postby coachgeo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:42 pm

WD8CDH wrote:Less than 500ppm is generally accepted but I go fo less than 1/2 of that to allow for some condensation getting into the fuel later.
Why 1/2? Would think that this 500ppm has also taken into account condensation since the others are also used in the same environment. Thus no need for the 1/2 your cutting it down to.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby WD8CDH » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:55 pm

500ppm is the petro diesel standard and many diesel vehicles have water separators that actually do remove water from DIESEL fuel so the engine is often getting less water than what was in the tank.

WVO tends to increase it's water content in storage and the water separators aren't effective in removing water from VO so my personal opinion is that WVO should start out with lower water than Diesel to get to the same water level by the time that it gets to the engine.

Since I have no problem getting my oil down below 250ppm and I have had no fuel related engine problems in over 30 years, I'll keep doing what has worked for me.
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'85 MB 300DT 2 Tank
Since '81 former WVO conversions:
'83 240D
'80 Audi 4000D
'83 Isuzu Pup
'86 Golf
'76 Honda Civic with Kubota engine
Prior to the cars, several generators
Kubota Tractor
WD8CDH

Postby dragonfly » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:37 pm

My fault for not being very clear about an on board CF. I didn't intend to use the SimpleCF while moving, but rather start the cleaning cycle when parked for the night - campground. Thanks for all the posts. It was interesting.
dragonfly

Postby BMW Fan » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:20 am

Have a look at my Centrifuge Cart.
Price is in CANADIAN DOLLARS ! :shock:

BMW Fan

http://www.crawldog.com/klausold/index. ... _Products-
BMW Fan

Postby 3lr » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:34 am

since they can handle the forces of a multiple horsepower electric motor's rotor at 7,000 rpm

smoothly actuated g loading at 1G is quite different than instantaneous g-loading such a hitting a pothole or bump - or even the way some ppl
drive :lol:

shock and vibration is an engineering speciality and still not completely understood (to many variables) - the higher paid pros fly around the world
just to roubleshoot everyone probs!

if to be CF'ed while in transit, at a minimum would suggest application specific shock mounting/damping and some SFI rated ballistic blanketing as is used in hydroplane boats and drag racing or it could end up becoming a real drag! :(
3lr

Postby robsam » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:14 am

Wow !! You guys have so much experience about filtration systems.I am using an Aprilaire water filter . I do know some of the functions but really I've never been deep inside the technology . Salute You Guys !!!!

_____________________________________________________ :roll:
Filtrete
robsam

Previous

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering