Water Filter

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Water Filter

Postby joel » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:28 pm

I am looking for a water blocking filter. I have read every post I could find on dewatering filters and everything seems to say the same thing, 'you can't filter out suspended water'. BUT, if you have properly settled the water out before putting it into your tank, you will still get unsuspended water in your tank from condensation. What filter will best remove this raw, unsuspended water in the tank which is bound to hit the pickup tube through the fuel sloshing around? What’s the overall best (affordable) water removing filter? Thanks
joel

Re: Water Filter

Postby John Galt » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:23 pm

joel wrote:I am looking for a water blocking filter. .. What’s the overall best (affordable) water removing filter? Thanks

A properly designed diesel fuel system will have a water-trap/sedimenter as part of the original equipment.
ImageImage

To correctly understand water in fuel read this discussion:
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72

Misunderstandings will lead to IP damage.
Last edited by John Galt on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Galt

Postby joel » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:44 pm

I would like a secondary water filter in addition to the factory one and was looking at the goldenrod or maybe a racor, but the racors are fairly pricey. I do like the clear bowl on both designs. Any thoughts?
joel

Postby WD8CDH » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:56 pm

If you are running direct return, even a water separator isn't very effective at free water removal with WVO because of the flow rate. If you are running a looped return, placing the water seperator in the supply between the tank and the loop return point works best because of the lower flow rate.
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'85 MB 300DT 2 Tank
Since '81 former WVO conversions:
'83 240D
'80 Audi 4000D
'83 Isuzu Pup
'86 Golf
'76 Honda Civic with Kubota engine
Prior to the cars, several generators
Kubota Tractor
WD8CDH

Postby SunWizard » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:11 pm

If you have any "raw, unsuspended" water you will also have a large amount of suspended water that no filter or water trap will help with. It quickly gets turned to suspended water from sloshing in the tank, going through the many feet of pipes and hoses, and when it hits a lift pump.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby John Galt » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:50 pm

WD8CDH wrote:If you are running direct return, even a water separator isn't very effective at free water removal with WVO because of the flow rate. If you are running a looped return, placing the water seperator in the supply between the tank and the loop return point works best because of the lower flow rate.
Toyota places a sedimenter/water trap in the fuel line between the tank and the fuel feed [lift] pump on most direct return and looped return Landcruiser vehicles. It does it's job very well for diesel and diesel VO blends.
On my Toyota truck the flow rate through the sedimenter/water trap is at least 900cc/min [0.24 GPM] at 1000 RPM. The sedimenter/water trap holds about 450cc so the fuel is replaced in a half minute at minimum.

What flow rates make it not effective?
John Galt

Postby WD8CDH » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:44 am

Hi John,

It really depends on size of the water droplets, the oil, and the temperature and therefore the viscosity of the oil going thru the water separator.

A water separator is really just like a tiny cold upflow settling tank. I'm sure that you know how too much flow effects that.

Fortunately, water from condensation is not as small of droplets as water or ice on food that flashes into steam in the fryer so it does drop out quicker.

My solution for condensation is a dissicant breather vent on the tank.
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'85 MB 300DT 2 Tank
Since '81 former WVO conversions:
'83 240D
'80 Audi 4000D
'83 Isuzu Pup
'86 Golf
'76 Honda Civic with Kubota engine
Prior to the cars, several generators
Kubota Tractor
WD8CDH