Removing water with Sieve

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby BMW Fan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:40 am

[/quote]

Perhaps you were using the wrong kind of pegs??? :D :lol: :D[/quote]

I guess that was the mistake I made.
Nova Scotian pegs don't work.
May I ask for a detailed picture of “woolies” pegs ? :wink:

BMW Fan
BMW Fan

Postby joel » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:43 pm

was the oil you tested your sieve/hydroscopic material with a volume of oil that went thru the process you just described?

Did you pretest for water levels in that oil prior to using your sieve/hydroscopic material? Since you work on the chemical world I assume you did take good scientific steps in this study you did; rather it be home grown or not, but it's best to document it in here since others will ask.

I have not done any scientific test yet on wvo, but have used it extensively with other materials. The reason for not scientifically testing it yet is that I didn't want to reinvent the wheel and felt there was a good chance someone had done this testing before. If no one has, I can proceed with testing sometime soon.
If you could lead me to material witch is cheap and does not need drying I would love to repeat earlier tests I have done long ago. I’d appreciate your insight and hints were to buy a test sample.

The material is similar to diatomaceous earth (but not exactly the same) and the particle size is controlled to make it a great water scavenger without absorbing anything else. I will have to look up the supplier and pricing info. One of the main reasons the cost is low is not only is it fairly cheap, but you don't need a lot of it. If moisture is present in a 275 gallon tote, we typically add 1.125 pounds total. I would think that wvo would need more, but the cost would still appear to fairly low due to the low quantities needed. Has anyone tried other products with any success? Like I said before, if major chemical companies have found this as the cheapest way to inexpensively remove water, I have to believe it could work for wvo IF the right absorbent could be found (i.e. cheap, disposable, and not absorb vo). Maybe even put it into a filter sock, tie it off and throw it into a tank?
joel

Postby coachgeo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:35 pm

do a search for both here and infopop for "Diatomaceous earth". Folk have experemented with that.

One thing different with WVO from other chemicals is the surface tension of this oil is rather strong and some water is in suspension in these microdrops due to the surface tension.

I might be little off on "surface tension" termonolgy. Thats just how I defined it in my own head after reading so many threads on dewatering.

A search for "micro drops" and hmmm "suspended water" in here and in the old
SVO forums of infopop might pull those threads up and give you more detail in the theorys and definitions of terms used.

We are not all scientist here so at times defintions used by us might not be exact in a science/chemist world and throw off a trained chemist minded fellow who is thinking we used a term the same way they would.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby 240Volvo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:12 pm

Joel, is this not an ADsorbent?
1984 Volvo 240 diesel with a single tank Elsbett conversion: electric fuel filter heater, FPHE, glow plugs, and injectors. Also injector line heaters and block heater, running 20%kero/80%WVO winter blend.
240Volvo

Postby joel » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:17 am

Since I don't know it's exact chemical makeup, I'm not sure.
joel

Previous

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering